Social Security has a 5.9% COLA coming up in 2022

Confirmed!
Just received my first SS payment of the new year, and it's up by, well, the calculator actually makes it 6.5%
Whatever, I'll take it!

Yep, mine too. Now if I decide to cancel Medicare part B there will be even more moola.

Could you explain how this works, please? I know nothing about Medicare
***edit***
OK, did some quick research, and it looks like you get Part A automagically, for free, but you have to sign up for Part B and they take money out of your monthly benefits, with the base amount being about $150 per month. Yeah, no thanks. What good would it do me here in Argentina anyway?

Last edited:
Could you explain how this works, please? I know nothing about Medicare
***edit***
OK, did some quick research, and it looks like you get Part A automagically, for free, but you have to sign up for Part B and they take money out of your monthly benefits, with the base amount being about $150 per month. Yeah, no thanks. What good would it do me here in Argentina anyway?
Will do you no good in Argentina. Only in the USA.

The only downside to dropping the Medicare happens if you try to reinstate it, for instance if you move back to the U.S. There is a stiff penalty in the form of a greatly increased monthly cost. And it is permanent.

The only downside to dropping the Medicare happens if you try to reinstate it, for instance if you move back to the U.S. There is a stiff penalty in the form of a greatly increased monthly cost. And it is permanent.

I'm not sure what you mean by "dropping". Is part B on by default or off? What I saw at the medicare website seemed to say you have to sign up for it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "dropping". Is part B on by default or off? What I saw at the medicare website seemed to say you have to sign up for it.
I got it automatically.

Is a very personal decision but I would strongly advise against cancelling Part B coverage unless you are confident you won't return to the US at some point.

Back