Social Security TODAY?

Nice thought. I'm not holding my breath, but it's a lovely idea.
You may be correct re: successfully obtaining majority approval for the $200 monthly increase in the SS check. The proposed legislation is already encountering resistance from Republicans on the Hill.

In my opinion, this is the part that is vital and must be included in the negotiation talks.
16 June 2022
....Although the bill would likely face obstacles in Congress, lawmakers are likely to take steps to shore up Social Security given the eventual shortfall, which would result in a cut to monthly benefits by about 20% starting in 2035, Martha Shedden, president of the National Association of Registered Social Security Analysts, said.

The bill would increase the Social Security payroll tax on higher-income workers. Currently, workers pay the Social Security tax on their first $147,000 of earnings. To be sure, most Americans earn less than that. But higher-income workers who make more than $147,000 annually don't pay the Social Security tax on any earnings above that level.

Under the bill, the payroll tax would kick in again for people earning above $250,000. Only the top 7% of earners would see their taxes go up as a result, according to DeFazio. However, there's one quirk about this arrangement: It would create a "donut hole" in which earnings between $147,000 and $250,000 would not be subject to the payroll tax, Shedden noted.

The bill would also extend the Social Security payroll tax to investment and business income, an issue that could face resistance. "I'm leery about that," Shedden said. "Social Security was set up to be based on contributions on earned income, and this mixes up the basket of earned and unearned income." ....the Congressional Research Service said in a 2021 report that "raising or eliminating the cap on wages that are subject to taxes could reduce the long-range deficit in the Social Security trust funds."

We live in interesting times.
(He said, biting his tongue firmly on all the other things he was tempted to say)

Let's face it. Most seniors who rely exclusively on social security can hardly get by on their monthly benefit in the USA. I would be living on the streets of Chicago today if I hadn't moved to BA in 1999. My benefit wouldn't cover rent.

I made a series of videos about "getting ready for retirement in Buenos Aires" on YouTube. If seniors are struggling in the USA, they should know there are other countries, like Argentina, where they can have a good life. It's been interesting to hear from several who are considering Argentina.

Let's face it. Most seniors who rely exclusively on social security can hardly get by on their monthly benefit in the USA. I would be living on the streets of Chicago today if I hadn't moved to BA in 1999. My benefit wouldn't cover rent.

I made a series of videos about "getting ready for retirement in Buenos Aires" on YouTube. If seniors are struggling in the USA, they should know there are other countries, like Argentina, where they can have a good life. It's been interesting to hear from several who are considering Argentina.

Thanks. Still curious to know if the average figure is before or after Part B. Also, what's the minimum income requirement for a retired person to get a residence visa for Argentina?

Banks started crediting accounts 2 days early of the actual SS deposit....competion for your deposit. The actual deposit is still the stated date...for me the 3rd. The bank can't lose

Thanks. Still curious to know if the average figure is before or after Part B. Also, what's the minimum income requirement for a retired person to get a residence visa for Argentina?
The average figure is before Part B. I don't know what the minimum income requirement is these days.

Back