Some advice in salary package please

Jordi

Registered
Hi Everyone,

My company (in UK) has offered me to go to work in Argentina for two years, but I will meet them next week to talk about a salary package. As it is the first time that I have been offered a job abroad I would like to know what sort of benefits I should negotiate. I would enormously appreciate any advice you can give me. Many thanks.

Hi and welcome!

Have a quick search of these forums, similar questions have come up before. At a rough guess though you'd probably want to find out if your company plans on subsidising your healthcare and what sort of help they'll offer you with your accomodation. For instance, from what I know it's very hard as a foreigner to get a long-term apartment rental (around two years I believe they normally are) in Buenos Aires without someone acting as guarantia. Would your company be willing to do that?

What's the name of the company, out of interest? :)

If you're here for two years, you need to think what you want to do accommodation wise. Most long term rental properties are let empty, so you'd need to furnish it yourself (expensive, time consuming). Temporary rentals will normally include everything, but will also likely be expensive.

I'd make sure they give you a lot of help getting settled and accommodated, then try get flights home included in the package. If you're going to be paid UK salary you'll likely be comfy, but if you're being paid local equivalent the cost of flights can be a killer.

Salary aside I'd focus on the settlement aspect of their offer.

Best of luck

J

Thank you so much M1ke, JP and SaraSara. Your comments were very useful.

a good flat in a nice area- palermo, recoleta, belgrano or zona norte if your office won't in downtown-, private health insurance, a car as public transport is not like in the Uk...

araucarialanguages said:
....a car as public transport is not like in the Uk...

I wonder if this is meant as revenge for Gerard Hoffnung's tongue in cheek advice for foreign visitors to London? Suggestions such as "You must try the famous echo in the British Library Reading Room" or "On first entering an Underground train, it is customary to shake hands with every passenger."

Of course you are right: public transport is not like in the UK. In Buenos Aires you don't have to pay nearly 24 pesos for a single, cash journey on the subte or the bus and in Buenos Aires most buses continue to run regular services through the night. Okay, I admit that in Buenos Aires you may have to ride on the outside of the trains in the rush hour but nothing's perfect :)

I know other people love their cars and wouldn't be without one but in my opinion it's easier, cheaper and less stressful to get around on foot or by bus, train, subte or taxi. Anyway: the idea of driving on Buenos Aires streets scares me witless!

Reactions: tez
elhombresinnombre said:
Of course you are right: public transport is not like in the UK. In Buenos Aires you don't have to pay nearly 24 pesos for a single, cash journey on the subte or the bus and in Buenos Aires most buses continue to run regular services through the night.

Seconded! I couldn't believe how far you could travel on just a few pesos in Buenos Aires. The UK has a lot to learn if it wants to see a greater uptake of public transport...

araucarialanguages said:
a good flat in a nice area- palermo, recoleta, belgrano or zona norte if your office won't in downtown-, private health insurance, a car as public transport is not like in the Uk...
Agree with the flat, but health insurance is so cheap it is not worth making a point of it. Cars are not necessary in the capital: all my friends who live downtown leave them in the garage during the week and use them only on weekends.

M1ke said:
Seconded! I couldn't believe how far you could travel on just a few pesos in Buenos Aires. The UK has a lot to learn if it wants to see a greater uptake of public transport...

Thirded, if there is such a thing. It's one of the joys of this place, being able to use public transport at such a low cost, and it is so reliable, even if crammed at times. If the first bus comes along full, you can almost guarantee that another will be along in a couple of minutes. Unless you have to use a car for the job, there really is no need to own a vehicle in this city. If you want to head away for a weekend, you can always hire a vehicle, or better still, take a long distance, luxury (and I mean that, the cama buses are a luxury) bus trip....Takes all the stress out of travelling by road.

Like others have said, if you are getting a UK based salary, you will be financially well-off here, but healthcare, assistance with accomodation, and flights home are usual in overseas assignments, and if you get them, when you get here, it's your round :)

Back