Sources For Organic Specialty Foods, Herbs And Supplements?

I have made my own apple cider vinegar. It takes about 6 weeks for the process but you can make a large container that will last a long time. Totally worth it. There are plenty of instructions on the internet.

I hate to be a downer on this website and post, but consume "organic" at your own risk in Buenos Aires. During my years in BA, I have encountered innumerable fake products, scams and consumer ripoffs. Face it, any merchant in BA can slap an organic label on any product and no one will know the difference. Nor is there any consumer authority to enforce claims of authenticity.

I once received an air conditioner unit, straight from the factory, that had no freon.

Last I checked, grass fed beef was available at Disco. Again, trust Argentine labeling at your own risk.

Organic Products are the same as, Novillito Meat,, that commands a Premium Price..! Faith is a divine Gift.. :rolleyes:

if you buy direct from the grower, by shopping at the feria de productores agronomia, or El Galpon, or Mercado Bonpland, then you dont have to worry about "any merchant" slapping on labels. Freshly grown produce doesnt have a label. Nor does fresh milk, hand made cheese, fresh chickens, or many of the other things I buy at these three places.

if you buy direct from the grower, by shopping at the feria de productores agronomia, or El Galpon, or Mercado Bonpland, then you dont have to worry about "any merchant" slapping on labels. Freshly grown produce doesnt have a label. Nor does fresh milk, hand made cheese, fresh chickens, or many of the other things I buy at these three places.

Right. It's organic because they told you so.

I know that Argentine and other (Bolivian, Peruvian) vendors sometimes lie about the authenticity of their products. "Si, son de granja." Yeah, right. A shopkeeper in Balvanera asked his brother at a butcher shop some questions for me; the brother's boss told him to lie to my face and tell me what I want to hear; he reported this to me.

However, there's a big difference in flavor between organic and conventional produce. Last year, I bought excellent vegetables every week from El Galpon vendors; the broccoli had remarkable flavor. With dairy, I only got butter and heavy cream, which were clearly grass fed; I know these flavors. The taste of pasture-raised chicken is much different from factory raised. When you ask the vendors questions and go into depth with them in a conversation, it can reveal a lot. Someone who's lying usually won't know the details.

Some suggestions have been very helpful. Oh, the guys at Fresco emailed me back - really responsive. They have raíz de diente de león and ortiga. That's a good start. They have grass-fed higado de cerdo y pollo, but I need the specific nutrition of beef liver.

Why Don't you cut off animals altogether from your diet and eat vegetables by yourself?

So many restrictions are just making shopping more complicate, and the most benefit you can get from a diet is to take off animal produces where there are higher potential of contamination (how they are fed, what drugs they are given, how their meat is stored, he long they've been dead before consumption, any disease they might have).

Good point, Serafina. I was a vegetarian for 44 years, using eggs and dairy products. I have been studying nutrition for a long time and have learned that certain animal products are the best sources of certain nutrients, such as B12, Retinol (the fat-soluble form of Vitamin A), and Omega 3 fatty acids (some seeds are good). I've cut out beef because I don't digest it well, except for beef liver, which is an outstanding source of bioavailable copper - so critical to our wellbeing, and other nutrients. Basically, I feel better this way. Abrazos.

RichardP, thanks for your helpful links! I'd found a few of the products I want on Mercado Libre, so I didn't list them, but didn't think to look there for vinagre de cidra de manzana! I wonder whether it has the culture (as in "the mother"); I'll try it, especially the raw one.

Back