Sourdough starter

nuitzangaro

Registered
To anyone who might be pining for sourdough bread, and are willing to make it themselves, I have some starter (the San Francisco variety) and I am happy to share it as long as you bring your own container. Cheers!

created my own starter a few month ago which turned out pretty good but unfortunately didnt survive a longer time not being used. will have another crack on starting another culture, if it doesnt turn out well, i might get back to you :)

I would LOVE to get some starter from you! Back in the States I baked bread every week and I've not done it here at all (2 months)! Would you please message me with info on how I can pick it up?

james p said:
OK!!!!To all of the great cooks out there that have mastered "Overcoming the obsticles of not finding what you need here" why don't we share our goodies with those that have cravings! Anybody game here?????? A little side business to help offset the inflation!

Alright, I'm game.
I got mint. Lots of it! Running out of pots to put it in.
I got mint coming out the wahzoo (hehe... I gots a minty wahzoo... YEAH, I SAID IT!) and I'll trade anyone for a healthy cilantro plant if they got some to spare.

Hey Nuitzangaro, is your starter still alive? Would appreciate info or a message if it is. Craving some sourdough right about now!
Thanks

Yes please! Which part of town are you in? I have a few seeds - interesting things from the US - to offer in exchange, must be planted soon!

Where can I buy sourdough bread San Francisco Style ....?? :wub:

How to make a sourdough starter - it takes several minutes.

2 cups harina de trigo 0 or 00 (or 000)
1 pk (2 1/2 teaspoons) of dry yeast or a little less than ½ cube (20 g) live yeast
Mix 1 cup water + 1 cup youghurt natural (buy it in a dietetica) - at about 40-42 °C (104 to 114 °F)
2 teasp sugar - optional, kick start

Mix in a glass container, add water little by little until you have a very thick paste.

Cover container with damp cloth (keep it damp) in a draught free room at 22-27°C (72-80 °F) for 3-7 days - temperature must be below 37°C (100 °F).

Ready when it smells right (sour).

It must be fed every other day with ½ cup lukewarm water + ½ cup flour, remove surplus.

If stored in a fridge, take it out, kiss the container lovingly and feed the dough once every 10 days - 2 weeks.

The sourdough starter can be kept for a week or so. In a fridge (covered by plastic foil, never a tight lid) a couple of months.

From fridge: take it out a couple of days before use.

Thanks so much for the recipe! As I am on a homemade yogurt kick (dietetica - ha! They don't sell it anymore as far as I know anyway... I was informed that the two girls who used to make and sell real yogurt moved to India), this is really convenient!

Is there nothing to be gained by having an older starter? I always thought that it was part of the special sourdough mystique...

Back