South Asian Food Recommendation

hannstew

Registered
We found and tried a South Asian food restaurant last weekend and I thought I would share my experience with you guys. The place is called Captain Cook and is located in San Isidro almost across the street from PF Chang on Libertador. The atmosphere and food were very good. The menu is short but still they have a variety to choose from. Starter menu has dishes from Japan, Vietnam, Indonesia and Thailand, and the main corse menu from the same and also Malaysia and Cambodia. Prices are comparable to PF Chang and range from 120-150 pesos and I thought the quality was about the same as well. The spice of the dish is decided before cooking, level 1,2 or 3. I chose level 3 and while it did have me sweating a little, it wasnt what I would call a level 3 in Asia, but still a thumbs up.

went to sudestada with some friends last week (i think its at fitz roy and guatemala?). small place, but the food was really yummy, and while i didnt go for the full spice, im pretty sure you can get some crazy hot food there if you want it.

also recommend Green Curry downtown (only open for lunch on weekdays) Tucuman 200 block, and the amazing puerta cerrada Cocina Sunae, with a changing menu every week and on the cheaper side of the fancy puerta cerradas at 200pesos set menu.

also recommend Green Curry downtown (only open for lunch on weekdays) Tucuman 200 block, and the amazing puerta cerrada Cocina Sunae, with a changing menu every week and on the cheaper side of the fancy puerta cerradas at 200pesos set menu.

I second the endorsement for Cocina Sunae.

i liked the food at sudestada, it was pretty good. but i found the portions small and the prices high. but its been over a year since ive been there so maybe things have changed.

Cocina Sunae has excellent service and is one of the cheaper closed door places, but I was pretty disappointed by the food when I went. Perhaps it was an expectation thing as we're used to getting really good Asian food in Australia or maybe they just had an off night.

Thanks for the Sudestada recommendation, I went there for lunch. The service was quick and efficient. The food was pretty tasty & the portions were large (had to take half the main course home). I paid 80 Pesos for a salad, main course with fish and lots of veggies, a simple dessert with bananas and tapioca pudding and a glass of lemonade.

Sudestada for lunch is much better value than it is for dinner. Just went today - 70 pesos for soup + main + drink. One of the best lunch specials in town.

wow..thats a bargain.

i have had dinners there and always found it v pricy.

Cocina Sunae has excellent service and is one of the cheaper closed door places, but I was pretty disappointed by the food when I went. Perhaps it was an expectation thing as we're used to getting really good Asian food in Australia or maybe they just had an off night.

What was on the menu that week? 2 of the 3 things we tried were excellent; one was highly disappointing (a pork curry something or other) but the dessert was amazing. I think it just depends on the week! the pad thai and fresh spring rolls were excellllllent

Back