Spain vs Argentina - worth relocating?

Personally I wouldn't want to live in a community of expats who spend their time drinking and watching football.
Very very funny comment.....:D:D no need to associate with the Finns, but proves that an infrastructure exists for expats. On the positive side Finish girls are very friendly.....:rolleyes:

Half my family is Spanish and the other half Argentinean, and I’ve just left Buenos Aires and will be moving back to Spain.

Many of the things previously mentioned are true (both the good and the bad), but even the worst of the bad (in my opinion) isn’t as bad as Argentinean bad.

Rents and real estate are as diverse in prices as Spain is diverse itself- obviously an oceanfront place on Ibiza (a famous hot spot) isn’t going to cost anywhere near an equally nice oceanfront place in a smaller coastal town perhaps in Galicia or Andalucía, and it’s the same with big cities- Barcelona is quite expensive because it offers the allure of big city convenience and the beach. Madrid is actually not too bad in price considering it’s a capital city.

There is still a lot of economic uncertainty, caused mostly because of its political situation, but there are jobs to be had for experienced individuals. Salaries are lower than in other EU countries, but you also spend less as people are not very materialistic, living more for ‘experiences’ than for pocessions.
One huge huge reason I’m going back is because, no matter how bad, you earn in EURO, a currency which is solid at the moment and which you are able to save in, make future plans with, take with you out of the country and exchange if need be, etc, —- something that no matter how high my salary in Argentinean pesos was— I always felt like I was earning Monopoly money.

The lifestyle is laid back similar to Argentina, so patience is a virtue, but generally people are not as ‘cara dura’ about things and it is generally easier to do business and trust people without the viveza criolla looming over you.

Half my family is Spanish and the other half Argentinean, and I’ve just left Buenos Aires and will be moving back to Spain.

Many of the things previously mentioned are true (both the good and the bad), but even the worst of the bad (in my opinion) isn’t as bad as Argentinean bad.

Rents and real estate are as diverse in prices as Spain is diverse itself- obviously an oceanfront place on Ibiza (a famous hot spot) isn’t going to cost anywhere near an equally nice oceanfront place in a smaller coastal town perhaps in Galicia or Andalucía, and it’s the same with big cities- Barcelona is quite expensive because it offers the allure of big city convenience and the beach. Madrid is actually not too bad in price considering it’s a capital city.

There is still a lot of economic uncertainty, caused mostly because of its political situation, but there are jobs to be had for experienced individuals. Salaries are lower than in other EU countries, but you also spend less as people are not very materialistic, living more for ‘experiences’ than for pocessions.
One huge huge reason I’m going back is because, no matter how bad, you earn in EURO, a currency which is solid at the moment and which you are able to save in, make future plans with, take with you out of the country and exchange if need be, etc, —- something that no matter how high my salary in Argentinean pesos was— I always felt like I was earning Monopoly money.

The lifestyle is laid back similar to Argentina, so patience is a virtue, but generally people are not as ‘cara dura’ about things and it is generally easier to do business and trust people without the viveza criolla looming over you.

I agree with everything you have said. As a part of Europe Spain is assured a good future and infinitely more stability than Argentina. There is simply no comparison in terms of infrastructure and quality of life. If history, culture and travel are important to you, Spain is a country with a lot to offer and it is close to all the capitals of Europe.

I didn't get Rich One's comment about Finns...Guess I am missing something. The football / drinker expats in Spain are almost all from a certain Engish speaking country that will soon exit the EU.

Sorry Sergio I thought you were referring to the Finnish Community in Fuengirola that I had mentioned as being friendly and hospitable...
The Brits are out..! :rolleyes:

Depending upon how you see it, either really good or bad, since Spain has always had such allure for expats/retirees, there are indeed communities of just about every nationality to be had.

Personally I think it’s a bit odd and even sad to see some Brits in Costa del Sol shop at the british supermarket (Iceland), go to all of the british bars, send their kids to british schools, and basically live in a bubble for 20 years speaking bare bones Spanish, but I’ve always been one to try to immediately integrate with locals, wherever I may in the world.

Depending upon how you see it, either really good or bad, since Spain has always had such allure for expats/retirees, there are indeed communities of just about every nationality to be had.

Personally I think it’s a bit odd and even sad to see some Brits in Costa del Sol shop at the british supermarket (Iceland), go to all of the british bars, send their kids to british schools, and basically live in a bubble for 20 years speaking bare bones Spanish, but I’ve always been one to try to immediately integrate with locals, wherever I may in the world.

Perhaps a reminder form The Colonialism Era. The Brits never mixed with the Natives in India S. Africa, China , and other Colonies (American Indians). . On the other hand the Spaniards mated with the local indians as soon as the landed in America, Philippines etc. Cortez married all its officers with Mexican women. Spaniards created a new mestizo race.

The biggest contribution of Spain to the Americas was.... the Genes, not the jeans..:rolleyes:

To be fair Brits arent the only to do this! Also they are very conspicuous by there huge numbers. More Brits in Spain than any other foreign European nationality Its true that Brits are crap at learning foreign languages but apart from that you cant really separate the Brits from the Germans or Dutch or whoever. If you lived in another culture you would probably miss dulce de leche, mate and connections with other argentines..

I vote for Spain too. We’ve lived on both continents and I cannot overstate the benefits of living in Europe and the sheer diversity and proximity of so many different cultures. I love Argentina but it is very isolated and completely centered around Buenos Aires. It was cheaper for us to send our son to a good bilingual school in a small city in Europe than in BA, and both were equally excellent. I can’t speak specifically to buying real estate in Spain, but it seems like a much more solid investment that the ever changing economic political and economic environment in Argentina. Plus, earning and saving in euros is a whole different level of security. Take your long vacations in Argentina, but settle in Spain. Just my two cents...

..... I can’t speak specifically to buying real estate in Spain, but it seems like a much more solid investment that the ever changing economic political and economic environment in Argentina......

A few years ago there was a lot of publicity in the UK about the industrial scale of property fraud in sales to foreign owners of homes in Spain. Google Property Fraud in Spain for newspaper articles and more. I presume that's all over now but I'd advise anyone thinking of buying there to do everything en blanco and not skimp on the legal advice.

According to this video about immigration, Spain is the "hot new destination, folks, and the Spanish people are in for quite a ride."

Back