Spanish Classes

I second WindyCityJames post about Casa do Brazil. The classes are good and the materials are interesting. I took a Portuguese class at CUI, but it was boring and overcrowded.

Hey Sleslie23, How big was your class at CdB? My class was large, I think we started with 18. We were in the room directly to the left of the office and it was really cramped.

Hey Sleslie23, How big was your class at CdB? My class was large, I think we started with 18. We were in the room directly to the left of the office and it was really cramped.

There were around 15, but at CUI, there were around 30, though that dropped to around 20 by the end. Though the class at the CUI was a first level class, which usually has more.

Seriously, I would never go back to one of the tourist schools personally, but your best bet I would think is to go along for a class or two and try a couple out. Things can change very quick and the teacher quality even in the schools can vary.

Even the school I went to let you sit in on a class for half the day (2 hours) to see if you fitted with the level etc.

Another thing I would recommend is NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES pay for more than a week up front. A lot of the schools have people coming and going every day (including both teachers and students), your experience may change from day to day let alone week to week. Ignore the discounts, in the long run it may not be worth it.

The best thing about the spanish schools is the social side, but if you have the cash and other options to make friends/have a social life, you really cant go past a private teacher, one on one. Particularly once you have a little grammar under your belt.

To put it in to perspective price wise, say a school charges USD 200 a week and the classes are 17.5 hours a week (4 hours a day, 5 days a week less .5 hr break), it works out at about USD 12 an hour.

I am not sure exchange rate they use at the schools (assume its not official?), but my teacher (university qualified in lenguas, has a psychology degree and years of experience) charges 100 pesos an hour which at the official rate is about USD 16 an hour and at the current blue USD 12 an hour. And, I know there are very good teachers that teach at the schools that charge privates outside @ 80 pesos an hour (and I am sure there are even ones out there you could find for 60-70 pesos).

@Veteran, still figuring out how to use forum, but I am interested in hearing more about your teacher. I am looking for 1v1 about 2 nights a week. If anyone has suggestions, I would love to hear them.

When I moved here, I began with Vos in Recoleta. I enjoyed it, and have remained in touch with the school and professors. I would be happy to share more about my experience there if anyone is interested. They are very flexible, and it was a good learning experience in the small classes.

Steve if you cant yet send PMs post your email address and I will send you her details. That applies for anyone else as well that is chasing a private teacher. I recommend her very highly.

Try El Pasaje (here's a link) for a smaller school in the city center (worked for me, and apart from being one of the cheapest, they take the official rate if you want to pay in pesos :))

Hi Steve -- I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on VOS, if you have a moment. I'm planning a trip to BA incorporating a language course and just signed up here today as part of my research. From their website it seems like there's a good literary/cultural focus, based on the teachers' background profiles, which I would really like. Any thoughts you can share about your experience there would be much appreciated! Thanks!

I agree with Der & Ceviche haha. But I sweat I am not a troll :p

As I mentioned, I will recommend you a really good private teacher if anyone is heading down that path. She was actually recommended to me by a fellow forum member when I first arrived here and she is very good.

I can also tell you a school to highly avoid (unless they have improved considerably in the last 18 months)!!
I wonder could I get the name of that Tutor? thanks alot!! tk

Back