Spanish Influencer Blasts Argentina Roads

Roads vary here, we're a developing country, they're gonna be better in places like Capital and worse in the middle of nowhere (Patagonia, up north, etc.).

That being said, I drove from Capital to Bariloche in the winter recently and the roads were fine minus a stretch between CABA and Bahia Blanca, even then, they were drivable, some were being repaired, others you had to be careful and watch out for potholes. I'm guessing if you go to Extremadura in Spain which is very rural roads will be poorer than in say Madrid or Barcelona.
Guess your model will apply to most countries "better roads" around the Capital.!
Roads were Fine in your opinion. Gas stations few and far apart (some may be out of Gas)..?
Mobile lack of coverage between cities..

Guess your model will apply to most countries "better roads" around the Capital.!
Roads were Fine in your opinion. Gas stations few and far apart (some may be out of Gas)..?
Mobile lack of coverage between cities..
I think so, and yeah, the capital/large cities.

Gas stations were actually surprisingly plentiful, often just a YPF in a sleepy town with under a 1,000 residents. Cell service was limited at times, so it's very possible one could be caught dozens of klicks away from a gas station with a flat tire/broken down car and no way to make a call, but in the defense of Argentina we're the 7th largest country on Earth, and this was my experience traveling in rural US and Canada too (it's gotten better but there's still dead zones as you can see in the US, Canada, and Mexico, especially areas with population densities similar to Patagonia such as Idaho, Alaska, Northern BC, Ontario, Quebec, etc.):
Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 17.23.38.png

Here's Personal's coverage map for Argentina, similar thing, coverage where people live:

Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 17.29.37.png

In the last 12 months I've driven south as far as Mar del Plata, and north to the Chaco, Paraguay, and back through Posadas. The motorways were uniformly excellent, 130kmh is easily and safely doable. Provincial routes were also fine, speed limit 100kmh but my leaden foot was comfortable with more.

Yes the roads can deteriorate, it's easy to find dirt roads in Buenos Aires province, even in suburbs of CABA, but hey, it's exactly the same in Chile (supposedly the most advanced LA economy). Yes, Spain has invested monumental sums of money in their transport network (not just roads, the trains are amazing), but a lot of the money for that came from elsewhere.

About mobile coverage, yes, this is a bit sad here. Quilombo's map shows very poor Personal coverage in the south of Argentina. Be aware that Personal and Movistar have a national roaming agreement, where Personal don't have good coverage your mobile should be able to roam onto Movistar, so don't set your mobile to manually select Personal. I'm not sure, but almost certainly there's a nationally mandated agreement in Spain for motorway coverage.

A female influencer from Spain drove 7000 kmts on Argentina Roads , she claims roads are deficient and she experienced 2 flats from Bariloche to El Chaiten. Most of what she said is true..? No Mobile signal between cities , dead spaces. Your car breaks ? you are done... ! True even in Provincia de Buenos Aires.
Any opinions?

I'm that pic she looks stoned.

Ive driven in nearly all areas of Argentina over the last few years (Rio Negro, Neuquen, Chubut, Mendoza, La Rioja, San Juan, Catamarca, Cordoba, Santa Fe, Tierra del Fuego, Provincia BA etc) and I have found the road trip infrastructure to be perfectly adequate as long as you have a 4x4 pickup truck with proper tires. There is always a YPF station within the full tank fuel range of the truck and Ive yet to see a road that will bust the tire on one of these trucks. Where there is a YPF there is going to be cell phone signal with data coverage.

It still makes me chuckle that people are concerned about being in a place with no cell coverage.
22 years ago, there were no cell phones, as we know them today. I personally didn't relent and buy one until 2015. Put another way, I lived over fifty years of my life without one.

Now, who's the Luddite?

It still makes me chuckle that people are concerned about being in a place with no cell coverage.
22 years ago, there were no cell phones, as we know them today. I personally didn't relent and buy one until 2015. Put another way, I lived over fifty years of my life without one.

Now, who's the Luddite?
And of course the good ole days of rotary phones and if you were not there to answer the call ... OMG

The way i see it, this wasn't about the roads but about having an opportunity to speak against peronismo.
I'm sure you never get a flat tire in Europe and the Whole territory of Spain has cell coverage......
Not defending peronistas or the shape the roads are , but to me it is pretty obvious this woman had a bone to pick about something else...

The amount of attention that Argentinians give to "Influencing" foreigners is insane to me.

Just as insane is how much the right wing loves it. They can't get enough of foreigners, especially from the "first world", talking down on their country.

Someone could stand in the middle of a Milei or Juntos event, scream "The Falklands are English!", and the anti-Argentina brigades of the Argentinian right wing would lap it up.

Back