Spices, Cooking Materials and Customs

BWalker

Registered
Evening all,

We're returning home (BA) soon from a long stint in India and I'm planning on buying a suitcase worth of spices, pots, pans and plates before we go. I'v not came across anything that says its not allowed (yet) but was wondering if anyone has had any experience in carrying 'large' quantities of this kind of thing through EZE.

After a year of cooking with under par spices i don't want to fall at the last hurdle and have them taken away! :p

Thanks for any info

When we returned to Bs. As. from a trip to New York City in October 2011, we brought a 14 piece stainless steel cookware set back, a lamp, some tools, all distributed in couple of suitcases and wrapped within some clothes. We didn't get stopped or questioned at all, even though we were 2 people returning with 3 huge and heavy suitcases and 2 fairly large carry on bags. Right after we came back of course, all of the currency controls, import restrictions and everythhing else happened, so I don't know if things have changed for coming through Ezeiza at this point. Good luck.

In all my experiences, including bringing a set of cookware in suitcases, I would say you will have no problems. I have also brought spices and various food items not available here.

I would stay away from fresh fruit or veggies though, they seem to take that more serious. My friend from Peru would bring in several kilos of limes from Peru because they were so expensive here, a few years ago. He had no problem. But they actually have signs about fruits and I think they can fine you for bringing them in.

surfing said:
So theoretically we can bring in canned foods if we want?

My Mexican friend just returned to Bsas in Feb 2012 with about 50 cans of chillis and 20 odd glass jars of Mole..no issue. It probably helps that she can put on her strongest Mexican accent and claim these are life essentials for a Mexican (and her friends!).

Good news! I never use up my free luggage allowance --- now I will! :D

My Argentinian partner flew back to Córdoba last july and again last february with in his suitcase :
For his new appartment : Several curtains, set of towels, Lagostina pot set, full set of glasses, full set of dishes, cutlery, bedsheets, comforter, pillows, shower curtains, juicer, kitchen utensils, place mats, etc. Also: electric shaver for his dad, electric epilator for his mom, hair straightener for his sister, a used Blackberry. He had no problems.

Also : when I fly down, I always bring dozens of spices with me in ziplock bags, mostly for cooking indian dishes. No problems. Red chili pepper flakes in Argentina are suprisingly mild, so don't forget to bring a large quantity of those.

We actually moved from India with all things you mentioned with no issues. Make sure to stock up on cheap medications too. Wish we would have.

Last month we brought 3 kilos of brown sugar from Cape Town. It got picked by the scanner, and the woman made a fuss about "raw ingredients" not allowed, etc. After playing dumb and speaking only english back to her, she let it go through. We also had electronics, but no mention of them.. just the bags of sugar.

Back