Spices in Argentina

canadien

Registered
I am making a list of spices to bring with me to Argentina (that I couldn't find easily the last time I lived in Argentina) , but I don't remember if the following are readily available in common neighbourhood grocery stores:

-cloves
-cumin powder
-black pepper (whole)
-tumeric
-saffron
-cinnamon (sticks)
-paprika

Thanks for your assistance.

Whole black peppercorns, cumin, and paparika are easily found here. Unless someone else posts otherwise, I suggest you bring the other seasonings with you.

Matt84 said:
cloves saffron real cinnamon can still be acquired here,

In a big chain grocery store? (I will be in Córdoba, so no Gato Negro or Chinatown for me)

I regularly buy cloves, cumin, black pepper and paprika. I never buy them at the big grocery stores though, a local dietetica is your best bet for good prices and availability.

saffron for sure, even at disco. ask for it, they still import it from spain at 20 or 30 pesos the thimble.

whole cloves and whole cinnamon used to be at big chain stores. Try locating the biggest supermarket around the wealthiest community around the area, that-s where they divert the diverse and imported items

-cumin powder - Regularly available in COTO don't know about cordoba's supermarkets.

-black pepper (whole) - Regularly available along with White and Green.

-tumeric - (Cúrcuma) Slightly harder to get but the condiment para arroz has a lot of tumeric in it.

-saffron -available in powder and little threads.

-paprika - available everywhere and your local Bolivian greengrocer might have some really nice spicy stuff.

You can buy all of those spices at New Garden Villares. 100 grams of turmeric or cumin runs about 7-8 pesos (one of the few things still cheaper than in the U.S.)

Back