Spilled Coffee On Macbook Air -Help!!

Believe or not, Brazil is actually more expensive than Argentina. The government taxes heavily electronics, cars, etc. and the result is a 13-inch MacBook Pro with retina display costs almost $3,000 at an official Apple store!

http://store.apple.c...mac/macbook-pro (Brazilian Apple store)
http://store.apple.c...mac/macbook-pro (US Apple store, same model is $1,299).

Of course, the main difference with Argentina is that with SP being the wealthiest city in Latin America, people actually have the money to buy it for that price :)

It sounds as if an overnight trip to Miami might make more sense. I've never priced these items in Santiago, though.

In Santiago I found one (the model I want, 13" Macbook Air more basic version) on a website for ~$1300, it said 'en efectivo' but i'm not sure if there was any tax added on to that.

In the states they are ~$1080 with tax; so it's about $120 difference in this case, as long as the place in Chile doesn't add any tax on.

In Santiago I found one (the model I want, 13" Macbook Air more basic version) on a website for ~$1300, it said 'en efectivo' but i'm not sure if there was any tax added on to that.

In the states they are ~$1080 with tax; so it's about $120 difference in this case, as long as the place in Chile doesn't add any tax on.

Chilean prices normally have IVA incluido. If it's used, there's no IVA.

I'm going back to the states in August. Will be going to apple. Would you like me to ring something back?

The rice approach to wet electronics:

The main thing to know about the rice approach is that it takes a while. When my cats tipped a cup of sugared black coffee down my kindle I thought I would need a new one as sugar is lethal for electronics even if all that liquid didn't kill it first. I put it upside down in a bag with rice (after doing all the wrong things) and after a week it still wasn't going, so I thought my pessimism was justified. But rather than throwing it out I put it back in the rice and put it way. A few weeks later I took it out for another look and ... (drum roll here) ... it went again. That was a couple of years ago and it is still going. The same thing happened to my brother-in-law's phone after a swim: several weeks in the rice bag cured the problem.

So I counsel patience. And wish you the best of luck.

La Fleur

Thanks for explaining the rice thing!

I know a lot of people who have tried the rice method to fix their phones. Usually it helps to a certain degree, but I've had people tell me that it turns on, but their screen doesn't work anymore.

I have a trick I use if I know that I'm going to be by a swimming pool, or at the beach, or in the rain... or if it even MIGHT rain.

I use one of these:

7848.jpg

I put my phone INSIDE it... but WITHOUT RICE. And then I close it.

It's weird, but I've never had a problem with my phone after being near water. EVER! I never even had to put it in the same room as rice. Not even within a few blocks of Barrio Chino.

You see, the plastic keeps water OUT, but your finger's touch/electricity (whatever) still work on the phone's screen THROUGH this magical device.

So you can:
-Text in the rain*.
-Get pushed into a pool.
-Have someone shoot you with a Super Soaker.
-Spill a glass of wine. (Really, who puts their phone near wine anymore?)
-Take a shower and/or bath...

And nothing happens to the phone.

You don't have to thank me. Not having to read frantic posts from people who didn't think ahead is "thanks enough".

*I attended the USTA's US Open last year in Queens and it started sprinkling during Delpo's match, but I didn't have to worry about texting, because I used one of the devices shown above.

Some people waste their time and energy (on here and elsewhere) trying to make other people feel stupid, or trying to make themselves feel superior to others. And some people are actually here because they want to seek and offer help...
For those of us incompetent folks that make mistakes like keeping electronic devices near open water sources, here is the solution (quoted from Josh MacDaddy who is the darn great Mac expert in BA):

"WATER DAMAGE:
The thing to do when liquid hits the computer is to IMMEDIATELY cut the power to it: force a shutdown by holding down the power button until it turns off.

Then bury it (with the screen open) in a huge bag of dry white rice. Make sure the rice is completely enveloping the laptop, then seal the bag shut so the rice doesn't absorb moisture from the atmosphere.

Dry rice is just as absorbent as silica desiccant, and much cheaper.

You then have to force yourself to have patience and leave it like that for several days.

Once it's fully dried out, you can power it on. And in most situations, it will be just fine and operational like nothing happened. Of course, that's water I'm talking about. Coke is trickier due to the high sugar content.

Computers can actually survive being bathed in water, as long as they are thoroughly dried out before applying power again.

It's not the water per se that damages them, it's the electricity short-circuiting the boards while water is still inside. There are many examples of people sending their iPhones through the washing machine, or purposely putting circuit boards in a dishwasher, and then being completely operational after it’s completely dried out again.

If electricity was running through it while the liquid was inside, then the motherboard is probably fried and those cost nearly as much as a new computer. "

Some people waste their time and energy (on here and elsewhere) trying to make other people feel stupid, or trying to make themselves feel superior to others. And some people are actually here because they want to seek and offer help...

I was in a mood last night, but that doesn't change the information. Use it to help you. Don't ignore it due to resentment of the way that it was presented.

People laugh at my phone in a ziplock baggie. And I shake my head at people who post that they need to buy a cell phone YET AGAIN. I can't afford to buy electronics all the time, so I make sure that I don't have to.

That being said, your QUICK KILL is good advice. Even for people like me who have laptops with drainage holes in the keyboard area.

[...]

EDIT: I had heard about this but didn't know it was already happening. Last month, the Duty Free Shop in the Guarulhos-Sao Paulo airport started selling iPhones. Since they are tax-free, you can actually get them cheaper than in the US (same price but no sales tax). Anyone having a connecting flight in SP and planning to get an iPhone might find this handy.

http://blogdoiphone....mprado-nos-eua/

I got all excited as I will be flying via Sao Paulo in a couple of weeks. But it looks like the Fnac store did not get the permit to sell merchandise tax free: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww1.folha.uol.com.br%2Fmercado%2F2014%2F05%2F1455254-sem-aval-da-receita-fnac-nao-vende-iphone-sem-imposto-em-guarulhos.shtml&edit-text=

Back