Split Air Conditioning Maintenance/Repairman?

Paige55

Registered
Hi All. I'm renting a small studio and have been for the past several years. I'm aware I need to clean the filters on the split a/c unit but, other than that, unsure if I'm meant to be ordering regular maintenance on it? It had functioned very well until today, when I saw a small leak coming down the wall (very miniscule). I was using the dehumidify function, as I often do. I'd just cleaned the filters a month ago and went to check them again and found the unit is also growing mildew/mold on the inside white plastic surface where the air comes out (which looks hard to clean as I can't get in-between the plastic blades). I've looked things up on Youtube to see if I could DIY but seems above my skillset, I'm not taking this whole thing apart on my own.

Ok, long winded as that was...does anyone know of a reputable AC repair service in the Palermo/Belgrano area? I really hope I won't be on the hook for a brand new unit but I also certainly don't want to be blowing moldy air all over the joint. Would be great to get someone out to take a look/repair/do some upkeep on the poor thing. I know it had its work cut out for it these past two summer seasons.

Thank you for any help anyone can lend, as always.

Abbreviated ask: Can anyone recommend an A/C maintenance service for my "ol' faithful" apartment split unit?

It had functioned very well until today, when I saw a small leak coming down the wall (very miniscule).
Look outside for the thin drainage hose to confirm water is exiting. That is the water you see on the sidewalk all over town. If it is crimped or blocked then water could be backing up into the unit. Newer units will shutdown in this case. We called for repair and that was the first thing they asked us to check, before sending someone.

Also possible the hose fell off on the head unit side, though would see a lot more water.

Look outside for the thin drainage hose to confirm water is exiting. That is the water you see on the sidewalk all over town. If it is crimped or blocked then water could be backing up into the unit. Newer units will shutdown in this case. We called for repair and that was the first thing they asked us to check, before sending someone.

Also possible the hose fell off on the head unit side, though would see a lot more water.
Thank you so much, will do. Yeah, it was a minuscule drip down the wall, I caught it nearly right away as I sit at my desk below it. This is the apartment I've lived in the longest so I've never had to deal with Air Con issues.

Are there suggested maintenance protocols I should be following other than when there's a problem? I was able to clean some of the mildew I saw inside but there is some I can't reach without dismantling the whole unit which seems a bit daunting from the Youtube videos I saw of the operation. I'll call the Newsan folks who now deal with Hisense as On The Brink suggested above. Thank you both, it's a total help. The unit is owned by the parents of a good friend and as always, I like to take care of the places I live as if they were my own so don't want to let anything slide.

Thank you kindly for that link. There are brand new units around the 100K mark so I'd be better off buying one than trying to hunt down and pay that same price for a tech. I might also ask the encargado when he's back from his leave as I know they did some work next door last year on that AC unit.

Even if I got a brand new unit I suppose then I'd have to pay hefty for the install and take away of the old unit. Either way the remedy for this doesn't sound cheap. I can likely get to the bottom of the leak (it's raining now so will check the output when it dries up)...I'm just a little worried about the mold/mildew that I can see growing in the unit and damage that could cause-not only to the unit but perhaps to the wall behind it somehow. I'll do some more digging. Again, thank you so much for that link. It's very helpful.

In my experience, independent technicians feel free to charge whatever they want, while official services' fees are far more reasonable. Just my two cents.....

Hi All. I'm renting a small studio and have been for the past several years. I'm aware I need to clean the filters on the split a/c unit but, other than that, unsure if I'm meant to be ordering regular maintenance on it? It had functioned very well until today, when I saw a small leak coming down the wall (very miniscule). I was using the dehumidify function, as I often do. I'd just cleaned the filters a month ago and went to check them again and found the unit is also growing mildew/mold on the inside white plastic surface where the air comes out (which looks hard to clean as I can't get in-between the plastic blades). I've looked things up on Youtube to see if I could DIY but seems above my skillset, I'm not taking this whole thing apart on my own.

Ok, long winded as that was...does anyone know of a reputable AC repair service in the Palermo/Belgrano area? I really hope I won't be on the hook for a brand new unit but I also certainly don't want to be blowing moldy air all over the joint. Would be great to get someone out to take a look/repair/do some upkeep on the poor thing. I know it had its work cut out for it these past two summer seasons.

Thank you for any help anyone can lend, as always.

Abbreviated ask: Can anyone recommend an A/C maintenance service for my "ol' faithful" apartment split unit?
Hello if you send me a direct message I will provide information on someone that I have used.
He is in Villa Urquiza

Are there suggested maintenance protocols I should be following other than when there's a problem? I was able to clean some of the mildew I saw inside but there is some I can't reach without dismantling the whole unit which seems a bit daunting from the Youtube videos I saw of the operation. I'll call the Newsan folks who now deal with Hisense as On The Brink suggested above. Thank you both, it's a total help. The unit is owned by the parents of a good friend and as always, I like to take care of the places I live as if they were my own so don't want to let anything slide.
I do not know any other maintenance than cleaning the filter as you mentioned. For other care they do sell those small surge protectors designed specifically for AC if you have issues with electrical disruptions.

This is the list of licensed AC technicians that we referenced years ago to do our split install. https://www.cacaav.com.ar/matriculados/listado

Thank you kindly for that link. There are brand new units around the 100K mark so I'd be better off buying one than trying to hunt down and pay that same price for a tech. I might also ask the encargado when he's back from his leave as I know they did some work next door last year on that AC unit.

Even if I got a brand new unit I suppose then I'd have to pay hefty for the install and take away of the old unit. Either way the remedy for this doesn't sound cheap. I can likely get to the bottom of the leak (it's raining now so will check the output when it dries up)...I'm just a little worried about the mold/mildew that I can see growing in the unit and damage that could cause-not only to the unit but perhaps to the wall behind it somehow. I'll do some more digging. Again, thank you so much for that link. It's very helpful.
You are lucky to find units for $100 K . Here the unit in promo at Frabega is worth $ 600 k

Back