Split the 180 Days

Mahara

Registered
Hi

We were in BA for around 100 days until April of this year and now are back here, hopefully for six months. We were planning a visa run in December after our first 90 days, but now are concerned because of the first 100 days here. Our total days - planned for 2010 would be 213 days. My questions are as follows:​

1. Does anyone know if they track the days if it not consecutive? We have a five month break from April to Sept.​

2. Should we assume we can stay for the first 3 months of 2011 as this is a new year?​

3. Would it make a difference if we have a new passport? Old one expired and new one doesn't show the first 100 days, for me anyway.​

Thanks in advance.
Mahara​

Contentious topic;) but I personally don't know of anyone who has had any problems with visas. As you're not intending to stay permanently in Argentina, I wouldn't worry too much about having problems when you go to renew your visa in December. If you are asked at migraciones, you can certainly say you are only here as a tourist for a few months.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, especially since you left the country for at least five months. That is not the pattern of the typical perma-tourist. You wrote that you were here earlier this year for 100 days. Prior to the expiration of your tourist visa(s) did you get an extension at migraciones, go to Colonia, or did you pay the overstay fine at the airport on departure?

By the way, don't make your visa run or go to migraciones to renew after the 90 days. Go several days before. If you go to Colonia after the 90 days you will have to pay $300 pesos per person as you exit and also have to pay for the trip. The fact that January 1st is the start of a new year won't make any difference. A new passport shouldn't make any difference, either, unless the agent at the border doesn't scan your data into a computer. A computer scan will match your name and date of birth with your old passport info.

Did you pay the entry fee at EZE when you first entered Argentina in 2010? The receipt will be attached in your old Passport. They keep that purchase record and cross reference it with DOB and name, so I am told. My disclaimer:cool:

on this note, perhaps a stupid question, but if we're going to Patagonia and crossing over to Chile (Torres del paine) and back into argentina, will this effectively restart the 90 days?

senorsuitcase said:
on this note, perhaps a stupid question, but if we're going to Patagonia and crossing over to Chile (Torres del paine) and back into argentina, will this effectively restart the 90 days?

Yes, but it seems that sometimes border agents in the provincias give shorter visas than the 90 days. At least I've read about this on this forum on a few times.

Back