SSA annual "proof of life" form

gracielle

Registered
FORM SSA-7162-OCR-SM (revised 7/2011)
The Foreign Enforcement Questionnaire is mailed to the beneficiaries or representative payee in May/June of each year. Beneficiaries with social security numbers ending 00-49 must submit their enforcement questionnaire in even numbered years. Beneficiaries with social security numbers ending in 50-99 must submit their enforcement questionnaire in odd numbered years. Beneficiaries with a representative payee and 90 years or older must complete the form annually.

Apparently, as in the past two years, it is still not necessary (or even possible) for those receiving SS benefits to complete and return a form 7162.

Usually, the completed and signed forms are supposed to be received by the SSA prior to the first of the year. I know from personal experience that benifits can be suspended temporarily if the forms are not received by March 1, but at this time, the forms are stil not being mailed to SS recipints who live outside of the USA.

I called a local SSA office in Ilinois in 2020 and first learned about the suspension of the requirment to complete the form. I was also told that they did not require (or want) anyone to complete the online (PDF) version of the form and only to use the form which is preprinted by the SSA.

As I did ot receive a form 7162 in 2021 for 2022 (my birthyear is an even number) in either May/June or October (when a second notice is usually sent), I checked the SSA website this morning and found this:

Notice Regarding Forms SSA-7161 and SSA-7162

Because of postal service interruptions around the world due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Social Security Administration has suspended mailing these forms. As of November 1, 2021 this suspension is still in effect. SSA will not suspend your benefits if you have not completed and returned the forms in 2020 or 2021. SSA will resume mailing the forms at a later date when conditions have changed.

This morning I received at my home mailing address in CABA the blank SSA-7162-OCR-SM ("Proof of Life") form. Included was the envelope to mail the form completed/signed back to the SSA at Wilkes Barre, PA. It must be mailed within 60 days. My blank form is dated 27 June 2022.

My memory may be faulty, but I seem to remember being able to do this on line through the Social Security website.

My memory may be faulty, but I seem to remember being able to do this on line through the Social Security website.
For 2022: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms/images/SSA7/G-SSA-7162-OCR-SM-1.pdf
OR
Get the free form ssa 623 ocr sm 2011-2022

This morning I received at my home mailing address in CABA the blank SSA-7162-OCR-SM ("Proof of Life") form. Included was the envelope to mail the form completed/signed back to the SSA at Wilkes Barre, PA. It must be mailed within 60 days. My blank form is dated 27 June 2022.
UPDATE:
This afternoon I mailed the original SSA form (completed by hand with black ink pen and using the envelope provided) vía Correo ARG.
Fee w/receipt of payment: $540 pesos/carta simple internacional. Delivery takes 7-10 days according to the postal clerk.

Via Correo ARG it cannot be sent as registered mail/return receipt requested because the SSA mailing address is a PO BOX.
SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION
PO BOX 7162, Wilkes Barre PA, 18767-7162, USA.

Back