Starbucks creates PR crisis in Argentina by apologizing

Sleuth

Registered
http://thenextweb.com/la/2012/07/16...facebook-creates-pr-crisis/?awesm=tnw.to_l1VP

Basically Starbucks says that they can no longer get imported Starbucks cups so they are being forced to use local products. This gets the Argentine Twittersphere all bent out of shape over their apology for having to use local products.

Really? Is there much of a doubt that local products tend to be inferior to imported items and usually at much higher cost. Have you seen the toilet paper and paper towels here? Walked around Easy and compared it to Home Depot? Tried to buy clothes here?

I guess when it comes from a major corporation, it makes a difference and gets people upset.

I went to Starbucks yesterday for a small coffee and the lid wouldn't fit onto the unmarked, white cup. I went today as well, and this time the cup leaked.

For a country in which you ask the shopowner "Es de acá?" and a reply such "es nacional, pero es bueno" is perfectly natural, the indignation is certainly rather comical.

Does anyone have any idea WHY things are inferior? I have not bought anything here in the way of clothes but Argentines tell me. I told one I think I'll buy a sewing machine, I can make GOOD clothes. She said, "But you can't get good fabric." Is it possible there is a mafia in place to keep out competition so they don't have to do good work? I can't help it. I'm always curious about the cause.

Sleuth said:
http://thenextweb.com/la/2012/07/16...facebook-creates-pr-crisis/?awesm=tnw.to_l1VP

Basically Starbucks says that they can no longer get imported Starbucks cups so they are being forced to use local products. This gets the Argentine Twittersphere all bent out of shape over their apology for having to use local products.

Really? Is there much of a doubt that local products tend to be inferior to imported items and usually at much higher cost. Have you seen the toilet paper and paper towels here? Walked around Easy and compared it to Home Depot? Tried to buy clothes here?

I guess when it comes from a major corporation, it makes a difference and gets people upset.

The new cups SUCK!! (like every other AR product).

It's about time a company stood up and told it like it is. BRAVO!

People should be "outraged" that a company can't F#@KING import PAPER CUPS!!!!

I don't know about a mafia... unless you consider the government a mafia. ;)

The problem is you need good quality from the raw material all the way up the line... and the proper tools and techniques. A lot of the good raw materials are shipped off for export, so that doesn't help matters. :rolleyes: For instance, you should be able to get GOOD wool fabric here, but when my husband went to get a suit made, it was from imported Italian fabric because the local fabric isn't as good. I don't really know the ins and outs of the textile industry here, but considering how hard it is to manufacture or run a business, it doesn't surprise me that these industries don't really develop... so local resources aren't used to their full potential, either.

I don't think blocking off imports has raised the quality of the national brands much at all.

Eclair said:
I don't think blocking off imports has raised the quality of the national brands much at all.

Economics 101 teaches us that blocking off imports is guaranteed to LOWER the quality of national brands. Less competition invariably leads to lower quality.

And higher prices.

The sad thing about these policies is that it sets up the national companies for failure. Once a "market friendly" president takes over and allows imports back in - then the local businesses will not be able to compete and will often be bought by a foreign company at a steep discount and reorganized.

Argentina has seen this cycle many times. It's the only country in history that went from first world status (from the early 1900s) to third world status. Argentina is very unique in that aspect.

Joe said:
Economics 101 teaches us that blocking off imports is guaranteed to LOWER the quality of national brands. Less competition invariably leads to lower quality.

And higher prices.

They aren't blocking imports 100%. They're cutting them down. This Starbucks fiasco slightly proves their point. The General Manager came out and said that it had nothing to do with the imports, and "678" ran a report chalking it up as lies from Clarín and La Nación. While they never explicitly stated that it was due to import restrictions, the use of the word "nacional" slightly hints that it was indeed the problem.

There was a story in "Ambito Financiero" about Moreno receiving 2,500 import requests per day, a number that is supposedly impossible for them process on a daily basis. So, perhaps Starbucks' "lack of planning" was due to that -- not putting in the request early enough.

Economics 101 also tells us that if you buy more (import) than you produce (export), you'll have to pay for the difference in debt. Most of the countries that are in dire economic straits these days have maintained negative trade balances for years. In 2010, the U.S. was more than a half of a trillion dollars in debt because of "free trade." So, yes, if we want everyone to keep using dollars to buy their imports, we have to provide dollar liquidity, which is achieved in part by maintaining a prolonged trade deficit. The pro-deficit argument goes on to say that eventually they will use those dollars to "buy American exports." Maybe some do, but certainly not enough. We've held a negative trade balance since 1976. And hey, as long as the printing presses hold out, I guess it doesn't matter... until supply/demand decides that the dollar is completely worthless.

Argentina's only safeguard at this point are its dollars. If there are dollar reserves, there will be imports. (Importing cups? Seriously?) If there are no dollars, there are zero imports. Which is worse?

Joe said:

And higher prices.

The sad thing about these policies is that it sets up the national companies for failure. Once a "market friendly" president takes over and allows imports back in - then the local businesses will not be able to compete and will often be bought by a foreign company at a steep discount and reorganized.

Argentina has seen this cycle many times. It's the only country in history that went from first world status (from the early 1900s) to third world status. Argentina is very unique in that aspect.

Please explain reference to "Economics 101". Did you study the Prebisch-Singer Thesis?

The Argentine Economy has not declined in absolute terms since the 1900s but it certainly has underperformed in terms of the customary comparison with countries of a similar size and resources.* (See footnote reference below) It is relative decline i,e not as fast as other large countries with a similar resource base the classic being Canada or Australia Note not absolute decline as seemingly implied.

Of course for a period in Argentina's economic history there was absolute decline in GNP. This coincides various military dictatorships most of whom were only too happy to remove import restrictions as part of a neo-liberal experiment carried out and in conjunction with close political alignment with the west. Arguably this is what led to the 2001 situation when there was a catastrophic collapse and absolute decline but that was not due to import restrictions far from it more causal were the Menem "reforms".

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S1415-98482007000100001&script=sci_arttext

"Third World Status" is often used as a put down pejorative term. Third World was a term originally used to distinguish nations that neither aligned with the West nor with the East during the Cold War, many were members of the Non-Aligned Movement. Now the term is used to denote nations with the smallest UN Human Development Index (HDI) in the world, independent of their political status. These countries are also known as the Global South, developing countries, least developed countries and the Majority World

I dont think you are referring to Argentina's political realignment away from the Washington consensus but rather to the latter!

Argentina's HDI is 0.797, which gives the country a rank of 45 out of 187 countries with comparable data.

See on this graph which Id like to upload but cant

http://hdrstats.undp.org/en/countries/profiles/ARG.html

Not wonderful but not that bad in recent times!

Yes I certainly agree it would be a big worry is another "market friendly" President comes along and at a stroke removes all import restrictions on uncompetitive industry. That is of course the IMF way as well.

The trick is of course to achieve import substitution to give time for local industry to get competitive al la Raul Prebisch the foe of Peron.

http://www.economist.com/node/13226316

*External Dependence, Demographic Burdens, and Argentine Economic Decline After the Belle Époque
Alan M. Taylora Economics, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138.
Abstract
Once one of the richest countries in the world, Argentina has been in relative economic decline for most of the twentieth century. The quantitative records of income growth and accumulation date the onset of the retardation to around the time of the Great War, and patterns of aggregate saving and foreign borrowing show that scarcity of investable resources significantly frustrated interwar development. A demographic model of national saving demonstrates that the burdens of rapid population growth and substantial immigration depressed Argentine saving, contributing significantly to the demise of the Belle Époque following the wartime collapse of international financial markets.

from: http://journals.cambridge.org/actio...57A61DB6.journals?fromPage=online&aid=4155536

Back