Starting A Business In Buenos Aires

[background=transparent]As for bribery: Do you have an example how it is done? Can you really bribe an immigration officer?[/background]

I bribed traffic police on MarDelPlata Routa 2 several times (Headlights have to be ON .. even in broad day light .. (doesn't matter if they have them OFF midnight in Capital Federal) ). First time he scared the carp out of me ... threatened to confiscate my car, ... but then suddenly he just slipped his hand through my side window. But immigration officer ?? .... How is it done?

For the love of God, people, for your own sake, take this to PM. You don't go admitting to a serious crime in writing in a public forum. Think about the potential use of word filters.

/me bangs head on desk

For the love of God, people, for your own sake, take this to PM. You don't go admitting to a serious crime in writing in a public forum. Think about the potential use of word filters.

/me bangs head on desk

Khairyexpat is as anonymous as you are here. In almost eight years I never offered an official a bribe in Argentina. I was, however, extorted to pay $100 USD within 20 minutes of my first arrival in May, 2006. It was a "fee" demanded by the vet at the airport to allow my chihuahua into enter the country with me. I was given a choice, pay in cash with USD or ¨go back to Mexico. I have posted about this several times and no Argentine official has ever come knocking on my door to arrest me for this "serious crime."

Khairyexpat is as anonymous as you are here. In almost eight years I never offered an official a bribe in Argentina. I was, however, extorted to pay $100 USD within 20 minutes of my first arrival in May, 2006. It was a "fee" demanded by the vet at the airport to allow my chihuahua into enter the country with me. I was given a choice, pay in cash with USD or ¨go back to Mexico. I have posted about this several times and no Argentine official has ever come knocking on my door to arrest me for this "serious crime."

OK. You guys are the veterans here, and I'm the n00b. If you say it's cool, I'm sure you're right.

I suppose my reaction was reflective of the paranoia engendered by the universal, omnipresent surveillance state which the USA has become in recent years.

I never offered an official a bribe in Argentina. I was, however, extorted

I stand corrected. for using the wrong terminology. .. Slip of tongue. .. Forgive me!

I was extorted at gun point ....

Still curious to hear a real experience, "bribing (I mean being extorted by) immigration",
( Rest assured, your secert is "bien guardado" within this "cariño" cummunity.)

For much much much less than ten thousand in lawyer's fees, you can become a citizen in 2 years. You can even do it on your own if you're Spanish is good enough and you're good at not taking "No" for an answer. Why would you look to start by investing US$180,00 in a business just to get residency?

Que raro, no?

Yet it is interesting to learn another new creative clever way to skin a cat.

Another day, .. another twist.

I stand corrected. for using the wrong terminology. .. Slip of tongue. .. Forgive me!

I was extorted at gun point ....

Still curious to hear a real experience, "bribing (I mean being extorted by) immigration",
( Rest assured, your secert is "bien guardado" within this "cariño" cummunity.)

I don't think your average Joe has direct access to bribes in immigration. If you hire an attorney, for example, they usually have someone who works everyday in immigration who knows everyone and has "special relationships" there. When I first came to Argentina, the attorney my company used hired someone who went with me to all of the initial tramites. I rarely had to wait in line, and in fact only had to show up for appointments that required my signature or fingerprints. Processes that were supposed to take 3 months took 1 or 2 days.

Fast forward a few years. When it came time to get my permanent residency, the company that bought my old company hired a different group of people. Although they worked in immigration, they obviously did not pay bribes. I waited hours in line, often had to come back due to lack of x, y, z, and in the end, the process was delayed 6 months due to a typo in the original declaración. This is all with someone who was "helping" me with the process.

I don't think your average Joe has direct access to bribes in immigration. If you hire an attorney, for example, they usually have someone who works everyday in immigration who knows everyone and has "special relationships" there. When I first came to Argentina, the attorney my company used hired someone who went with me to all of the initial tramites. I rarely had to wait in line, and in fact only had to show up for appointments that required my signature or fingerprints. Processes that were supposed to take 3 months took 1 or 2 days.

Fast forward a few years. When it came time to get my permanent residency, the company that bought my old company hired a different group of people. Although they worked in immigration, they obviously did not pay bribes. I waited hours in line, often had to come back due to lack of x, y, z, and in the end, the process was delayed 6 months due to a typo in the original declaración. This is all with someone who was "helping" me with the process.

Would you be willing, please, either here or in PM, to give us the name of the first legal firm, the one that got the job done right? :)

My next task, as soon as I find a department, is to find a good immigration lawyer.

Would you be willing, please, either here or in PM, to give us the name of the first legal firm, the one that got the job done right? :)

My next task, as soon as I find a department, is to find a good immigration lawyer.

No, not at all. I'll PM you and anyone else who is interested.

Khairyexpat is as anonymous as you are here. In almost eight years I never offered an official a bribe in Argentina. I was, however, extorted to pay $100 USD within 20 minutes of my first arrival in May, 2006. It was a "fee" demanded by the vet at the airport to allow my chihuahua into enter the country with me.

You brought a chihuahua with you? That, alone, is worth an extortion!

:)

You do have to pay a fee when coming in with animals. I don't know if it's usually that much though.

Back