Status of foreign parent when child is born in Argentina

skyway

Registered
Hi folks,

Just wondering does the status of a parent (foreigner) change when their child is born in Argentina? Is the parent then able to get a DNI, do something regarding citizenship etc.? Or are you still considered a 90 day tourist?

The other parent (wife) is an Argentinian citizen.

Thanks.

Hi folks,

Just wondering does the status of a parent (foreigner) change when their child is born in Argentina? Is the parent then able to get a DNI, do something regarding citizenship etc.? Or are you still considered a 90 day tourist?

Thanks.
Once you have a native Argentine wife or child, you qualify for permanent residency (DNI permanente). My son was born here, my wife and I are both foreigners. We got our DNI permanente through our Native born Argentine child. We also applied for Citizenship 3 months ago. There is a thread about Citizenship in this forum where experts like Bajo_cero2, and experienced forum members like dsp27, steeve and others discussed these matters.

Hi folks,

Thanks.
You (or this hypothetical person) have immediately gained the right permanent residency and citizenship (if you want it, via naturalization). Foreigners whose children or spouse are born within the territory of the Argentine Republic (including claimed territory like The Falklands or South Georgia) are considered "natural born" Argentines and are able to pass on their citizenship without the parent/spouse having to wait the normal 2 years.

My husband was born in Provincia and I have only had my permanent residency status for a year but I started the citizenship process when I had it for a few weeks because of this entitlement.

And as a side note, if you're a new parent congratulations! Also don't forget to register the child's birth with your country of origin.

You (or this hypothetical person) have immediately gained the right permanent residency and citizenship (if you want it, via naturalization). Foreigners whose children or spouse are born within the territory of the Argentine Republic (including claimed territory like The Falklands or South Georgia) are considered "natural born" Argentines and are able to pass on their citizenship without the parent/spouse having to wait the normal 2 years.

So, every single Kelper is eligible for Argentine residency and/or citizenship? That's hilariously ironic.

So, every single Kelper is eligible for Argentine residency and/or citizenship? That's hilariously ironic.
Yes, the same way every person born in Northern Ireland (UK) is eligible for an Irish passport as well.

I'll add a bit more context. I work in Spain (I'm from Ireland) and only come in/out of Argentina on the 90 day tourist visa at the moment. However, I'm guessing that I would have to spend an extended, unbroken period here before I could even begin to apply for a DNI? But how do I do that if I can only enter/exit every 90 days? Or can I actually enter on some other visa because of my Argentinian wife/baby?

In theory, I could transfer from the Spanish office to the Argentinian office of the company that I work for. However, I have pretty much ruled that out as I have no desire to commit financial suicide and get paid in pesos instead of euro.

The baby was born a few days ago. All good. I will be applying for his Irish passport asap as it carries much more weight than an Argentinian one (will obviously get one of those too).

I'll add a bit more context. I work in Spain (I'm from Ireland) and only come in/out of Argentina on the 90 day tourist visa at the moment. However, I'm guessing that I would have to spend an extended, unbroken period here before I could even begin to apply for a DNI? But how do I do that if I can only enter/exit every 90 days? Or can I actually enter on some other visa because of my Argentinian wife/baby?

In theory, I could transfer from the Spanish office to the Argentinian office of the company that I work for. However, I have pretty much ruled that out as I have no desire to commit financial suicide and get paid in pesos instead of euro.

The baby was born a few days ago. All good. I will be applying for his Irish passport asap as it carries much more weight than an Argentinian one (will obviously get one of those too).
My hearty and sincere congratulations on the birth of your child. Best wishes for a long and happy life.

For the rest, welcome to the happy life of the expat. Argentina is...you will laugh, you will cry, and you will laugh to keep from crying, but there's literally nowhere I'd rather be right now. FML, or as they say down here, puta vida.

You can apply for permanent residency as soon as you have all of the required paperwork and you may be able to do so in Spain at an Argentine consulate. You won't have to stay in Argentina for an "extended period" of time. The "physical presence" requirement applies to citizenship.

You will get the DNI in Argentina after your permanent residency has been granted.

If you apply for PR in Argentina you will receive a precaria which should allow you to come and go as you please without worrying about a 90 day visa (which can be renewed once at migraciones if you need to do so before you apply for PR).

Back