Stay away from this apartment rental

peterp said:
Also at www.nic.ar entering the web address in consulta de dominio (available to the public)

daudlegal.com.ar - shows home/office address for Florencia Daud

In case the info on the link you gave is also removed soon, here's what it says re "Daud Legal" in BA. Perhaps her home 'phone number has already been provided in this thread. But here it is anyway just in case it's not been.
Entidad Registrante:
Florencia Daud
País:
Argentina
Actividad:
Otra

Datos en Argentina
Domicilio:
Chenaut 1967 4 A
Ciudad/Localidad:
Buenos Aires
Provincia:
Buenos Aires
Código Postal:
Teléfono:
4776 3188
Fax:
4776 3188
Persona Responsable:
Florencia Daud
Domicilio:
Chenaut 1967 4 A
Ciudad:
Buenos Aires
Código Postal:
Provincia:
Buenos Aires
País:
Argentina
Teléfono:
4776 3188
Fax:
4776 3188

No reply to my email yet about renting the apartment. Seems 'David' isn't good enough for her. Oh well. Judging by the pics its pretty obvious what happened......evil mom corrupted poor cute innocent Florencia

ghost said:
Anyone here registered on Flyer Talk?

I am, I can make some noise over there. On Virtual Tourist and Lonely Planet Thorn Tree as well.

I thought it was deduced that it was quite likely that our good amiga Florencia was reading this thread, no?

dennisr said:
Think the most interesting part of this thread is yet to come: content and safe harbor laws. Is the lady in question going to challenge the legality of the thread’s content? Will be interesting to see if there is a response.
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20100820/01233510698.shtml

BAExpats.org is hosted out of the United States. It's hard enough to sue someone in a different state in the U.S., much more in a different country.

Given that she was thousands of pesos behind on her building expenses at this apartment AND that she almost has $10,000 ARS in debt with various banks, something tells me that she couldn't even pay to have anyone take her case.

All of the addresses, DNI, CUIL, photos, etc. are in the public domain. She uploaded it herself, or she agreed to the terms/conditions of it being made public.

She's obviously not very tech literate, and pleading stupid isn't going to win her a case in court. If she hadn't scammed someone out of his deposit, this would have never happened. What goes around, comes around...

mcaffa said:
I am, I can make some noise over there. On Virtual Tourist and Lonely Planet Thorn Tree as well.

I posted to the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree site this afternoon: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1975630

I would have posted to Flyer Talk, but I couldn't really find an appropriate category in that forum for this subject.

Not sure if Frommers, Fodors, etc., have forums, but if they do I'll post there also.

I already contacted the authors of several blogs that focus on Buenos Aires to see if they can post a blurb about this lady, or at the very least link to this and the other threads.

I'll be contacting the authorities Monday, and also pitch this to the local Buenos Aires newspapers to see if they might pick it up.

IS the perpetrator actually "Florencia Daud" or she someone impersonating Florencia? Bailey, the victim of this fraud, happened to say that the perpetrator does not look very similar to the photos of the latter, so I am surmising. I just assume they’re the same person because most online pages about “Daud & Associates” and “Daud Legal” (both firms in Argentina) disappeared the very day on which this fraud gained wide attention.

Is the ‘Colegio de Abogados de Buenos Aires” empowered to govern (regulate + discipline) breaches of its Codes of practice and ethics, or is it only a voluntary association of certified lawyers? Big difference!

Perhaps an Argentine lawyer would kindly confirm this and outline the disciplinary powers of the relebant governing body, and tell us how quickly it typically deals with anyone holding himself out as a licensed and practicing Argentine lawyer who in fact is not such. Also, what sanctions can the governing body levy upon a licensed lawyer who has perpetrated a blatant fraud but who hasn’t yet been convicted of or charged with it? Also, is it actually possible for a person to obtain a qualifying law degree needed to obtain professional training or 'articles', and be admitted to Argentine Bar all in the same year? (According to Ms/Mrs. Daud’s bio she obtained a law degree and became licensed in the same year.)

I’m having difficulty with the implication in Florencia’s bio that she worked for the the British Parliament as a non-British national. Similarly, that she was employed by the EU (Brussels + Luxembourg) as a non-European citizen. Does Florencia have British or another EU citizenship in addition to her assumedly Argentine one?

Has Florencia ever been admitted to and is she currently a member of the “The Law Society of England and Wales”? An earlier contributor said she was listed as a member on the “LinkdIn” website before the entry for this disappeared today.

Florencia as already noted on this thread by a contributor to this thread would not have been permitted to provide legal advice in New York as she stated online in her bio unless the NY Bar had an arrangement with another Bar to which Florencia belonged which agreement allowed her to practise law in New York. Is she a member of any U.S. Bar?

Is there any connection between “Daud & Associates” Legal Services on Pueyrredon in BA and “Daud & Associates” in Panama? (The latter is a large firm stated to be headed by an “M. Daud” and that emphasizes its international business expertise, particularly its maritime practice. I ask this primarily because Florencia’s bio says she has practiced law in many countries.

Is Florencia Daud married or not? (Imagine if you suddenly learned your spouse was in trouble for serious fraud and you’d not been part of it or known of it!) In her bio posted on this thread today, she refers to herself as “Mrs” Daud. In other places online with basically the same bio, she either uses no title or refers to herself as “Ms” Daud or “Director” of “Daud Legal”.

The perpetrator of this fraud could well lose more than just her apartment and her social reputation if she is a lawyer, or if she offered legal services in a place she’s not licensed to practise, or if she has a impersonated a licensed lawyer.

I find the following odd:

-that someone who was educated in law in Argentina to the academic standard required towards obtaining membership in the Argentine Bar; who belongs to that Bar only; and who practises law only in Argentina does not promote his/her ‘international law’ and ‘trade’ services in Argentina to potential Argentine clients nor to Spanish-speaking Latin American clients in Spanish. (It’s confusing more so because Florencia states that she practises law in different countries. But even ignoring that, why would a lawyer intentionally forfeit a large section of his possible client base?);

-that 3 legal associates + Florencia at the Pueyrredon address offer(ed?) services in so many (20-30?) legal fields;

-that a law office would share its ‘phone number with a cooking school and the “Recoleta Spanish School”, all at the same address;

-that someone who had worked for a high-profile law firm in BA would not name it in her bio/resume when such a firm would be well-known and so advance her legitimate career goals;

-that Florencia doesn’t state the job titles of her ‘work’ positions with the British Parliament and the EU; and

-that she published on the “Daud Legal” website and elsewhere that she pursued a graduate degree at LSE and attended numerous courses in law in Europe but not that she completed these and received recognition for so doing.

I HAVE A REQUEST OF ANY ENGLISH LAWYER WHO WORKS IN THE VICINITY OF THE LAW SOCIETY ON CHANCERY LANE. IT IS THIS. WOULD ONE OF YOU BE SO KIND AS TO FIND A LITTLE TIME TO ARRANGE A VIEWING OF THE SOCIETY’S ROLLS AND WALK OVER TO VIEW THEM TO LEARN AND TELL US IF FLORENCIA DAUD WAS ADMITTED TO THE ENGLISH LAW SOCIETY AND WHETHER SHE STILL IS A MEMBER IN GOOD STANDING OR NOT? THIS WOULD BE SO APPRECIATED BY MANY. The temporary rental industry in Argentina is completely unregulated. Many visiting tourists who’ve rented temporary accommodation for their holidays in Buenos Aires have been scammed (and been subjected to far worse crime) by property owners there who let their properties temporarily on rental agreements (not by Argentine tenancy leases which are unsuited to short stays). Our protection as visiting renters has been left up completely to ourselves. Not even rental agents are regulated. Many of them regularly ignore the scams committed upon us. They simply say their hands are tied. Most scams are conducted on the last day of our rental periods because landlords who renegue on their contracted rental obligations do so knowing we will be thousands of miles away within hours and no longer able to seek redress through Argentina’s criminal justice system. We also cannot choose our landlords in advance: the sole permitted method of renting temporarily allowed us is this. We must select an apartment sight unseen online and book it with a deposit from far away. Then, when we arrive in BA, if there’s a problem with our selected apartment or the landlord, we still cannot personally view an (other) apartment with any agent whatsoever. So we often look online from our own countries for good places that would seem commensurate with people who hold middle-class values. But that notion falters so easily once we’ve handed landlords our rent and security deposits. We are then in the ideal position to be royally ripped off and we are. So we need to know at least if a property owner who has flagrantly and so fraudulently done this and who may well be according to her online self-promotion a member of the English Law Society factually is that or not. My sincere thanks to anyone who would do this.

In response to the brilliant message by Sockhopper :
IS the perpetrator actually "Florencia Daud" or she someone impersonating Florencia?

It seems that the answer is affirmative, Florencia Daud was recognized on the pictures, Bailey simply admitted the fact that she is good looking but not as good looking as she is appearing in some of the pictures. It seems Florencia has been impersonnating a "Valeria de Santos" when working as a guide, keeping her real name for her legal advertising.

Is the ‘Colegio de Abogados de Buenos Aires” empowered to govern (regulate + discipline) breaches of its Codes of practice and ethics, or is it only a voluntary association of certified lawyers?
No idea, very good question indeed.

Perhaps an Argentine lawyer would kindly confirm this and outline the disciplinary powers of the relebant governing body, and tell us how quickly it typically deals with anyone holding himself out as a licensed and practicing Argentine lawyer who in fact is not such.

I doubt an Argentine lawyer would express his/her opinion in this thread, in fact it would be a good thing to ask on the Argentine lawyers website : www.portaldeabogados.com.ar.

I’m having difficulty with the implication in Florencia’s bio that she worked for the the British Parliament as a non-British national. Similarly, that she was employed by the EU (Brussels + Luxembourg) as a non-European citizen. Does Florencia have British or another EU citizenship in addition to her assumedly Argentine one?

I find it odd as well, it is a possibility she has a second European citizenship like many Argentines do (Daud sounds French by the way but I may be wrong). What is odd as well, is that she mentions her work at the British Parliament in one of her resumes but not in the one appearing on her legal site : it's likely something one would not forget to include in a resume.

Has Florencia ever been admitted to and is she currently a member of the “The Law Society of England and Wales”? An earlier contributor said she was listed as a member on the “LinkdIn” website before the entry for this disappeared today.

I don't know, anyone knows ?

Florencia as already noted on this thread by a contributor to this thread would not have been permitted to provide legal advice in New York as she stated online in her bio unless the NY Bar had an arrangement with another Bar to which Florencia belonged which agreement allowed her to practise law in New York. Is she a member of any U.S. Bar?

No idea, anyone knows ?

Is there any connection between “Daud & Associates” Legal Services on Pueyrredon in BA and “Daud & Associates” in Panama? (The latter is a large firm stated to be headed by an “M. Daud” and that emphasizes its international business expertise, particularly its maritime practice. I ask this primarily because Florencia’s bio says she has practiced law in many countries.

No idea as well

Is Florencia Daud married or not? (Imagine if you suddenly learned your spouse was in trouble for serious fraud and you’d not been part of it or known of it!) In her bio posted on this thread today, she refers to herself as “Mrs” Daud. In other places online with basically the same bio, she either uses no title or refers to herself as “Ms” Daud or “Director” of “Daud Legal”.

No idea but in the pictures she gave a public access to, she was either alone, most of the times, or eventually nearby a guy, every time different. This doesn't imply she is or she isn't.

-that someone who was educated in law in Argentina to the academic standard required towards obtaining membership in the Argentine Bar; who belongs to that Bar only; and who practises law only in Argentina does not promote his/her ‘international law’ and ‘trade’ services in Argentina to potential Argentine clients nor to Spanish-speaking Latin American clients in Spanish. (It’s confusing more so because Florencia states that she practises law in different countries. But even ignoring that, why would a lawyer intentionally forfeit a large section of his possible client base?);

Indeed that's really odd, the only time she used a public access site/blog to express herself in Spanish was to talk about her cat. Every other time, she used English only to target an English speaking audience.

-that 3 legal associates + Florencia at the Pueyrredon address offer(ed?) services in so many (20-30?) legal fields;

Her legal office appears too as registered to her Chenaut home adress. This apartment is a one bedroom, hence quite small. As for the 20-30 legal fields, yes that's odd.

-that a law office would share its ‘phone number with a cooking school and the “Recoleta Spanish School”, all at the same address;

With a sister "company" providing guiding tours, Florencia Daud aka Valeria de Santos acting as a guide when she does not simply cancel the tour at the last minute (cf supra. online testimonial, for what it's worth).

-that someone who had worked for a high-profile law firm in BA would not name it in her bio/resume when such a firm would be well-known and so advance her legitimate career goals;
-that Florencia doesn’t state the job titles of her ‘work’ positions with the British Parliament and the EU;

Again, very odd.

-that she published on the “Daud Legal” website and elsewhere that she pursued a graduate degree at LSE and attended numerous courses in law in Europe but not that she completed these and received recognition for so doing.

I've been wondering the same thing, especially focusing, like you, on the meaning of "pursue a degree". As already stated, the Law academy in Brussels offers online teachings as well as live ones. To say "I have been to Harvard" might sometimes not be the same as saying "I have been to Harvard"...

Back