Stay away from this apartment rental

I try to ignore comments that aren't thread topic related. They are usually childish attempts at instigating online conflict. Just ignore it and stay on topic, they will get bored and move on.

ellbee said:
btw, whats up with the troll discussion? i thought we were talking about scams...

skitch patterson said:
I am basking in the comforting glow of this thread's glory.

One aspect I have always found uncomfortable in apartment living is the occasionally slutty office staff.

I tried to thank everyone on this thread. Thank you all if I missed anyone. I hope I have not already messed up here in BA. But if it helps, the scam is in the United States as well. It just takes a different turn. Keeping deposits on any trumped up excuse is a profit center so it is not just Argentina, though my experience is in long term rentals--both as a landlord knowing other landlords, and as a tenant. In every rental I have had (and I'm old enough to have several) in the States, they have tried to keep my deposit. One of them did. But I never messed up again. I know how to deal with them now, just as some of you do in AR. One is to put in the contract when you sign that you have so many days (5 days, a week, whatever) to report anything wrong in the apartment. Then go through and write down every nail hole and anything else. One of my examples is an apartment including even damaged drip pans under the stove burners. They ridiculed me when I took my list in and insisted the realtor sign it remarking to someone that I must be dishonest since I didn't trust ANYBODY. Well when I moved out I got a nice letter listing all the things that were wrong, INCLUDING the damaged drip pans, and explaining they could not return my deposit. I sent a letter back, told them to check their file and they had ten days to get my deposit to me or they would see me in court and they would pay the court expenses as well. The deposit came by return mail. And this is only one story. I do have several! And that was in the United States.

Here in BA there were quite a few problems in my apartment. My son was here and spent two days writing the list in spanish and in this case we took digital photos and printed them. (I am far from proficient in spanish!) What a stack of papers but she dutifully and cheerfully signed each one. Who knows if I will get my deposit back. These people are lovely to me but I don't read Spanish well so who knows what is in the contract.

So good luck everyone. I might learn a lot about Argentina in this rental. But thank you for your input. It is VERY helpful!

This is a general comment, but people in Argentina will many times laugh in your face if you ask them to honor something that is written in a contract. For example, I rented a property to a "friend of a friend". It was a commercial property, storefront to be exact. In the rental contract it stated that the protective metal gate was in perfect working condition. Right before the contract ended, his employee sent me some phony invoices for repairs to the metal gate which I disputed. His lawyer then contacted me and said if I didn't pay him $2600 he wouldn't return the property to me (and it would take me 2 years to get him out of the property) when he was supposed to leave. So I had to give him a free months' rent in compensation for the supposed repair and of course when he left there were other things broken as well. What I would do is just tell them you are reporting them to AFIP for unreported rental income and threaten and be an a--hole because unfortunately honesty and dilligence in business here will only get you burned. Play by the rules here.......

Back