Steel-Cut / Irish Oats

syngirl

Registered
Has anyone had any luck finding them here? I got some while back in NA and I forget just how much yummier they are...

You can make steel cut oats in a good blender or food processor from whole oats with out the husks. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find those either :(

You can use bulgur wheat as a semi-close replacement. I do a 50-50 mix with regular oatmeal and it comes out nicely.

I never eat porridge and try and avoid excess grain consumption as my stomach disagrees with it...but, on cuidad de la paz, between fed. lacroze and (i think) teodora garcia there is an organic shop which sells some variety of organic oats and also organic olive oil.

I really couldn't say how processed or otherwise the oats are, the one time I bought some they were fairly bulky looking and came in brown paper packaging which pleased me, can't stand unecessary plastic packaging.

We bought some chunky cut oats from the dietetica on Independencia and Santiago del Estero. They also had whole oats, but not with husks.

You can get whole oat groats (husked oats) in Casa China. I didn't have the greatest luck with my blender which took the oats too quickly from oats to oat flour. A food processor would probably work much better but I don't have one, so I turned the oats out onto a cutting board and ran them through with a knife for about 4 minutes.

Voila, steel cut oats.

Oh Argentina! The things I would never have thought to do if I hadn't moved here

Back