Stereotypes - what was yours?

vamospanish

Registered
Before moving to live in Argentina did you have a stereotypical view of a 'typical' Porteno? What was it?
Did you have an illusion of what life would be like here? Did anything happen to shatter this preconceived view?

I had absolutely no preconceived notions before I arrived. In fact, I had no idea what I was getting myself into! LOL.

It's all turned out well in the end I'm happy to say. Interesting topic. Would love to see other answers.

I'd assumed for most of my adult life that I'd end up living in Brasil, but (unfortunately) ended up on the wrong side of the border in Iguazú. I'd never even considered Argentina prior to finding myself living here! So no preconceptions about Argentina, but.....

Having then lived for 2 years in Iguazú, I had plenty of preconceptions of Porteños. The rest of Argentina pretty much despises them and considers them rude, ignorant, snooty, dishonest and psychotic.

I can't say as I've noticed much of a difference between Misioneros and Porteños to be honest....they're ALL rude, ignorant, snooty, dishonest and psychotic!

And as I'm pretty much trapped here for the rest of my life I'm adopting the philosophy of 'if you can't beat them, join them.'

;)

Alzinho said:
I'd assumed for most of my adult life that I'd end up living in Brasil, but (unfortunately) ended up on the wrong side of the border in Iguazú. I'd never even considered Argentina prior to finding myself living here! So no preconceptions about Argentina, but.....

Having then lived for 2 years in Iguazú, I had plenty of preconceptions of Porteños. The rest of Argentina pretty much despises them and considers them rude, ignorant, snooty, dishonest and psychotic.

I can't say as I've noticed much of a difference between Misioneros and Porteños to be honest....they're ALL rude, ignorant, snooty, dishonest and psychotic!

And as I'm pretty much trapped here for the rest of my life I'm adopting the philosophy of 'if you can't beat them, join them.'

;)

Im sorry you have to go through such hell, i cannot imagine such a kind, erudite, honest and sane person like you having to become Porteño :rolleyes: My heart goes out for you my friend ! ehheh

Going back to topic..i cant really say nothing, when i came to Buenos Aires, Arg i was 1 second old and i guess no one bothered to let me know what i was getting into, they didnt even asked me if i wanted to, the bastards !! :p

Back