Still an American at heart

If being an American at Heart means liking Denny's, then I guess I never was one...
Being "an American at heart" is many different things to different people. Denny's is unhealthy food, but very tasty. That being said, much of the same stuff can be made at home in a much more healthy form.

Forty years ago, in the early years of the Reagan administration, the US economy was sputtering, and my min-wage-plus-commission job at the recycling company wasn't covering the rent, so I would drive a taxi on Friday & Saturday nights after the Navy got paid, (sailors used taxis a lot in those days). My usual shift was 9pm to 3am. After gassing up my taxi, turning it in, and doing the paperwork, I'd hit the Denny's downtown around 4am for breakfast. And at that time, in those circumstances, it was perfect. I could fill my belly with bacon, eggs, biscuits & gravy, and whatnot for just a couple dollars. Granted, the USD of 1982 was far, far stronger than the dollar of today, but still. Circumstances, eh? Where else was I going to go at 4am?

Speaking of traditional American comfort food, anybody else ever eaten at the big truckstop in Dalhart, Texas? Driving back and forth between Kansas City and San Diego, we always stopped there.

If being an American at Heart means liking Denny's, then I guess I never was one...
Denny's is a chain loved by many singles an families for what it is : A place to have breakfast 24/7 to enjoy a stack of pancakes with maple syrup . A place to take children for a burger ?..... for an affordable price.
Denny's is not for foodies or gourmets , not a place to Dine..isn't Rodeo Drive.

Denny's is a chain loved by many singles an families for what it is : A place to have breakfast 24/7 to enjoy a stack of pancakes with maple syrup . A place to take children for a burger ?..... for an affordable price.
Denny's is not for foodies or gourmets , not a place to Dine..isn't Rodeo Drive.
Words of wisdom

The first time I was in a Denny's, in about 1970, I found the whole thing to be a soul destroying experience. Plenty of cheap single owner greasy spoons, pizzerias, burger joints, shwarma places, taco trucks, and delis kept me fed since the 70s, without the corporate sameness, the Ozzie and Harriet ambience, and the cops eating there. Always a weirdo, those places gave me the creeps since the 60s and they still do. Plus, everything is cooked in Prep, a mysterious grease that comes in five gallon buckets.

i always preferred ihop over dennys. many a late night in college with chicken fried steak, eggs, and pancakes!

iHop is ok, but their hash browns don't compare to Denny's. And last time I visited, they didn't offer sourdough toast.

When it comes to the chains, I'm told Waffle House is the place for hash browns.

Family run Greek diners are a Million times better than any of those chain places for breakfast (or any other meal).

When it comes to the chains, I'm told Waffle House is the place for hash browns.

Family run Greek diners are a Million times better than any of those chain places for breakfast (or any other meal).

Will make a point of checking Waffle House's hash browns next time I visit. It is worth noting that South of Washington, DC, hash browns are difficult to find. In NC they are replaced by home fries, a very poor substitute in my humble view.

While driving cross-country, chain restaurants can be a godsend. Easy access, good signage to help find them, many locations, consistent fare. Not fancy, but reliable. After ten hours of freeway driving, I never had enough energy to hunt for a good eatery.

Back