Still an American at heart

I go to the same places for breakfast every day the tab comes to about $600, I pay with a debit card. The service is ok.
The tip (can't be included on the card) becomes an issue since I have either hundred or thousand peso bills. When I ask the waiter for change he starts to unroll 100's and stops at $900 ? So I ask him to keep going..! I planned leaving a $50 peso tip..?? he claims has no $50 peso bills. I feel compelled to leave a $100 peso tip...? Is crazy? or Normal? What is the answer ? bring some cash ? Is 10% fair ?
I figure it's only $US 0,30 extra ???

I go to the same places for breakfast every day the tab comes to about $600, I pay with a debit card. ... I have either hundred or thousand peso bills.
I think you are overusing your debit card, that's why you don't have smaller bills. 600 pesos breakfast, huh?

Give waiter a 1000 bill, ask for 350 back. My guess is that he will find a way to accommodate your request.

In places where they expect tips, they structure their prices accordingly. For example, a promo of cafe con leche and medialunas at Martinez is 710 now. Makes it easy to leave 70 pesos tip when you pay cash.

Is 10% fair ?
I have an impression that the majority of people are tipping less.

Last edited:
I tip 10% on the total which I think is fair considering prices include VAT, and Argentines I go out with, including my husband think it's excessive. We went out to a nice restaurant the other night and it was ~$9,500 ARS and I left 1K, that's $3, I'd feel bad leaving less considering how poorly people are paid in Argentina in general.

I think you are overusing your debit card, that's why you don't have smaller bills. 600 pesos breakfast, huh?

Give waiter a 1000 bill, ask for 350 back. My guess is that he will find a way to accommodate your request.

In places where they expect tips, they structure their prices accordingly. For example, a promo of cafe con leche and medialunas at Martinez is 710 now. Makes it easy to leave 70 pesos tip when you pay cash.

I have an impression that the majority of people are tipping less.

Cafe cortado en jarrito with 1 media luna close to $600..!
Have questioned the waiter if on larger tabs say $8000 pesos for table of 4 , How many customers leave 10 % tip ??? He indicated 2 out of 10..!!

I go to the same places for breakfast every day the tab comes to about $600, I pay with a debit card. The service is ok.
The tip (can't be included on the card) becomes an issue since I have either hundred or thousand peso bills. When I ask the waiter for change he starts to unroll 100's and stops at $900 ? So I ask him to keep going..! I planned leaving a $50 peso tip..?? he claims has no $50 peso bills. I feel compelled to leave a $100 peso tip...? Is crazy? or Normal? What is the answer ? bring some cash ? Is 10% fair ?
I figure it's only $US 0,30 extra ???

Rich, bro, 100 pesos is like 35 cents in real money. Come on.

I realize having been a waiter for 7 years, and living on my tips, has something to do with my attitude, but if the service is good, I will tip 15% minimum, or 20% if it's a place where I'm a regular. It has a very positive effect on the service next time.

You know these people are getting paid jackshit. My Social Security is less than 1000 USD a month, but still. It's part of being a mensch.

I realize having been a waiter for 7 years, and living on my tips, has something to do with my attitude, but if the service is good, I will tip 15% minimum, or 20% if it's a place where I'm a regular. It has a very positive effect on the service next time.

You know these people are getting paid jackshit. My Social Security is less than 1000 USD a month, but still. It's part of being a mensch.
10% is considered good in Argentina.

I don't like tipping culture, but in countries where it exists, or here where people are working en negro and making barley $200/month I basically tell myself if I can't afford to tip, I can't afford to dine in.

I'm not upper class now by any means, but even when I was poor, the rare times I could scrounge enough cash up to enjoy Denny's I always told myself my budget had to include a tip because people were often making less than minimum wage due to the state's labor laws or being paid under the table if they didn't have SSNs.

And regarding tipping and service here, I used to eat once a week at a restaurant near my old place, and like Redpossum said, the staff remember you and appreciated you for it. I always got great customer service, I'd frequently get served before others who arrived before me, and the managers would ask me if I wanted a cup of coffee on the house sometimes, or they'd comp the occasional dessert.

Again, while it shouldn't be up to us to mitigate the macroeconomic problems, if you can afford to, I know the staff appreciate it, especially as we hit 100% inflation.

I'm not upper class now by any means, but even when I was poor, the rare times I could scrounge enough cash up to enjoy Denny's I always told myself my budget had to include a tip

Quilombo, you are my kind of person a Denny's colleague for low budget 24 hr service on the freeway .
Tapioca pudding, Barley soup , and other low cost items at the counter. eggs sunny side up , golden toast, to perfection.

Quilombo, you are my kind of person a Denny's colleague for low budget 24 hr service on the freeway .
Tapioca pudding, Barley soup , and other low cost items at the counter. eggs sunny side up , golden toast, to perfection.

Great hash browns, too....!

Consistent food and service coast to coast - I drove across the US a couple of times, and Denny's saved my life. That, and the much-maligned Starbucks.

Back