Stranded in Buenos Aires

brazil has 428 cases but 5 times the population of Argentina more or less. The rate of infection is actually the same in Argentina if not worse per capita . Uruguay surprisingly is now the worse country in South America with 79 cases for 3.5 million habitantes .
I
brazil has 428 cases but 5 times the population of Argentina more or less. The rate of infection is actually the same in Argentina if not worse per capita . Uruguay surprisingly is now the worse country in South America with 79 cases for 3.5 million habitantes .
I'm guessing though that reflects the superior health service in Uruguay and better reporting, but note your comment about Brazil. Conversely, with the attitude of the Bolsnano government, the actual numbers infected is likely to be much greater than reported.

Actually, we tried to get out on Sunday to Uruguay, with a view to catching the BA flight out of Montevideo, but were stopped and told we could not fly until we had completed our 14 day self-isolation.

Uruguay closed its borders to keep hordes of people stranded in Argentina from going to Montevideo's airport to catch flights home.

Last edited:
I

I'm guessing though that reflects the superior health service in Uruguay and better reporting, but note your comment about Brazil. Conversely, with the attitude of the Bolsnano government, the actual numbers infected is likely to be much greater than reported.

Uruguay has many great things, but medical care is not one of them. The public health service is a national disgrace, and even the best private hospitals are comparable only to a hospital in, let's say, Bahia Blanca.

Last edited:
Everybody drinks mate in Uruguay. That’s one quick way to spread the virus around.

I have a first cousin working on the front lines at a NYC hospital. I’ve also heard from a couple of EMT’s involved in other cities.
Basically, because it is entirely possible to carry the virus but be completely asymptomatic, most estimates that are based on the amount of people showing symptoms is likely to be off by an order of magnitude. Absent widespread systemic testing, most everyone is basically flying blind. We simply don’t know, in most places, how many people have this.
Regarding the OP’s question - you will likely not be allowed to board a flight to Brazil or Chile without a confirmed onward flight. Preferably on the same ticket.
A client of mine got onto a flight to Brazil yesterday morning by the skin of his teeth. He had a flight to the US 11 hours later; that was deemed too long. That he got on was sheer luck.

According to the NYTimes Coronavirus World map Argentina is safer than the US, Canada, Mexico most of South America and most of Europe.
I don't know where you're from but you might be better off hanging out here till the whole thing blows over.
He, yes, I am ready to believe that is the case. Certainly, family back home have expressed some of the same sentiment. It's ther lack of family and social network support that is lacking, and for that we are grateful to those folks here who have replied to us.
Thanks again

Back