Strange text message from government? Scam?

sergio

Registered
I got a text message saying "Por disposition del gobierno national tennis question registrar ...." your DNI .....
I did this when I bought this prepaid phone, Is this for real? Or a scam of some sort?

cafeamericano

Registered
I got a text message saying "Por disposition del gobierno national tennis question registrar ...." your DNI .....
I did this when I bought this prepaid phone, Is this for real? Or a scam of some sort?
Your autocorrect messed up your post. Change language to Spanish when typing the text message so we know what it said

steveinbsas

Registered
When I changed from Claro to Movistar last year (with a new number) I receive a similar message. Yes, you have to register the number with your DNI (or possibly your passport). Just follow the prompts and you will be done in a few minutes.

sergio

Registered
When I changed from Claro to Movistar last year (with a new number) I receive a similar message. Yes, you have to register the number with your DNI (or possibly your passport). Just follow the prompts and you will be done in a few minutes.

Ok but this is not a new phone

Sojourner

Registered
Actually I wondered about all this when I got a SIM (Movistar) a few months back. My DNI was accepted and we were off and running, but I remember no option that said you could use a passport number or any other form of identity verification than a DNI to implement the phone service.

This suggested tourists in-country on a visa are left either paying steep international roving fees or depending on the likes of Skype. Maybe another temp carrier not Movistar is more forgiving? A government requirement I'm guessing though.