Street fashion for men

harrisonba

Registered
Can someone please tell me if most men dress according to European standards here, and if the style is as conservative as I've heard?

I am wondering if my usual uniform of black shoes, dress/black jeans, long sleeve button down shirt, and neutral sports jacket will fly in BA. I also occasionally wear Converse Chucks, flat caps and Oakley eyeglasses. Should I leave the Chucks and the blue sports jacket at home?

Thanks!

HarrisonBA

You should be good in those items ;) Men tend to dress more conservative than Americans, unless they are out on vacation close to the beach, etc.

Chucks are king here. The only things from your list that aren't as common are the flat caps and Oakleys. Here most sports jackets are of the local soccer club teams.

You'll be fine with what you describe. But you should rather bring what you like to wear & be yourself. Then make adjustments when you get here.

I agree, your clothes sound find for BA.
However, what amazes me about BA is how many people are nicely dressed.
I mean, I make a very good living in the U.S., yet these people have scarves, and jacets and pants and shoes that look like upper class americans.
How do they afford it? I have looked at the prices in BA and tried to shop there, but the prices are fairly equal with the u.s. prices.
How do these people, who probaby make a tenth of what I do a month afford it?
Do they know of cheaper stores than we see on Santa Fe?
Is there a clothes black market?

Tpaul said:
I agree, your clothes sound find for BA.
However, what amazes me about BA is how many people are nicely dressed.
I mean, I make a very good living in the U.S., yet these people have scarves, and jacets and pants and shoes that look like upper class americans.
How do they afford it? I have looked at the prices in BA and tried to shop there, but the prices are fairly equal with the u.s. prices.
How do these people, who probaby make a tenth of what I do a month afford it?
Do they know of cheaper stores than we see on Santa Fe?
Is there a clothes black market?

Nah, they pay with their cc´s in up to 12 installments ;)

Let's give Argys some credit, for being a poor country they can still put some clothes together many than many countries where clothing is not that expensive:p;);):p

Everything is fine here, but if you don't want to be recognised as a foreigner, you shouldn't be dressed too 'flashy' or too "trendy" (mostly this means no 'bright' colours (ok in t shirt, but not in coats/sweaters etc) , no bright pink, no fashionable white leather jacket, same jacket in black would be fine etc).

Here men are usually dressed 'boring'.

It is certainly OK to wear these 'flashy' and 'trendy' clothes, but then be extra carefull for pick pockets /cellphone/camera etc.

katti said:
Here men are usually dressed 'boring'.

But some men in BA dress like this:

Lucas said:
wero.jpg

And some dress even sexier.

Back