Study says: Buenos Aires is the best city in Latin America

fifs2 said:
And to answer this survey you must be Canadian, Canadian or Canadian...:)

I know! And I happen to be Canadian... with a preference for Montreal though. Vancouver is pretty but expensive, Calgary has lots of oil money but skewed values, and Toronto is boring (= the stereotypes).

The study was done by The Economist (Economist Intelligence Unit).

http://www.eiu.com/Default.aspx

Lulu-Kyoko said:
I know! And I happen to be Canadian... with a preference for Montreal though. Vancouver is pretty but expensive, Calgary has lots of oil money but skewed values, and Toronto is boring (= the stereotypes).

The study was done by The Economist (Economist Intelligence Unit).

http://www.eiu.com/Default.aspx

Well I congratulate you on nationality and your choice of cities as Montreal is a personal favourite of mine too. I take these surveys with a kilo of salt as in 2004 (I think) they declared Dublin the best city in the world to live and having just escaped its traffic jams and extortionate property market I laughed out loud when my Argentinean friends kept asking me why I'd left...

Buenos Aires would be a much better city if not for its economic and crime woes. A fact about EIU is that they use government numbers that paint everything as rosy.

In all honesty, Buenos Aires is not a bad city at all. All they have to do is have a decent police department, control the inflation level, lower import taxes (to make local products on par with the rest of the world and also for people to have access to more goods), get rid of import restrictions, get a good cleaning crew for the city, educate people to use trash-cans, pick up dog poop, fix the pavement, get new subway trains or at least fix the old ones (especially the ventilation), send bus drivers to therapy so they don't bring along their anger while driving and I guess educate people on manners while walking on the street.

I'm sure I'm missing a lot of things but I'm also sure that I have added a lot of things I personally care about. The fact remains that if they even began fixing some of the rampant problems in the city, I'd have a very different opinion of Buenos Aires than I do right now. The status-quo sucks and the realization of that will go a long way.

Adelaide...Now thats a joke! Melbourne from Most Live-able City in the World two years running down to #60.

Calgary and Adelaide are NOT two of the world's greatest cities! WTF?!

Dublin2BuenosAires said:
We brought the judges over, filled them to the brim with pints and whiskey and showed them a night on the tiles,.. sure who else was going to win after that?

Ah its Friday night..you're making me homesick with talk like that!

Back