Subte linea D / Monthly expenses

$4500 pesos ball park a month, you should be fine on that (excluding rent). Generally you spend more when you first arrive as you are getting used to what is expensive and what isnt and everything else, but if you stick to your budget I am sure you will be fine. Someone made the point about whether you cook or not and that is quite valid, try and buy from the supermarket where you can.

The other Ill mention is public transport. Its ridiculously cheap here, while taxis are still cheap but relatively so not as much. You should organise a SUBE card when you get here (just need your passport). Subtes are about US60c a ride and buses are US25c approx. I would also suggest grabbing the GUIA (transport guide), they often sell them on the subte and you can find people selling them on the street as well. I think they are about 10 pesos (from memory). Also suggest using www.comoviajo.com which is basically a travel planner (public transport) to get your from A to B using public transport.

Good luck!

trennod said:
$4500 pesos ball park a month, you should be fine on that (excluding rent). Generally you spend more when you first arrive as you are getting used to what is expensive and what isnt and everything else, but if you stick to your budget I am sure you will be fine. Someone made the point about whether you cook or not and that is quite valid, try and buy from the supermarket where you can.

The other Ill mention is public transport. Its ridiculously cheap here, while taxis are still cheap but relatively so not as much. You should organise a SUBE card when you get here (just need your passport). Subtes are about US60c a ride and buses are US25c approx. I would also suggest grabbing the GUIA (transport guide), they often sell them on the subte and you can find people selling them on the street as well. I think they are about 10 pesos (from memory). Also suggest using www.comoviajo.com which is basically a travel planner (public transport) to get your from A to B using public transport.

Good luck!

Thank you!!

Are you at all familiar with the area around Soler/Aguero? Im a bit confused as I can't tell if its Palermo or if its Barrio Norte or Recoleta, ha! Is it a nice, safe, area? What about Bonpland and Cordoba?

Lclc23 said:
Thank you!!

Are you at all familiar with the area around Soler/Aguero? Im a bit confused as I can't tell if its Palermo or if its Barrio Norte or Recoleta, ha! Is it a nice, safe, area? What about Bonpland and Cordoba?

"Soler/Aguero" isn't an area.

They are streets that are parallel, but about 4 blocks apart.

Napoleon said:

I think he said (and meant) the area around those streets. I could be wrong though.

I think thats pretty much on what could be considered the border of Barrio Norte and Palermo (if not in BN), someone else may be able to confirm though. Thats an decent area, not too far from Avenida Sta Fe and therefore pretty close to Linea D. Obviously close to the action of Palermo where I am sure you will spend plenty of time. Any way you can try out the area before fixing in for 3 months? Always think its a good idea to come here and look first yourself if you have the chance.

Lclc23 said:
Davonz- where did you find your apartment? Any sites you can recommend?

My current one was from craigslist, but you have to negotiate, and when they quote you a monthly price, ask how much for 3 months. I have never paid the asking price.

It is the quiet time of the year, so its easier to get the price down, and if you can pay in US$ that will also help you get the price down.

When i visit an apartment, i tell the owner i have other places to see. I will then wait until they contact me, this is a good sign that they dont have anyone else looking so you can get a better price. I dont just go there and see the apartment, and then leave (unless i dont like it or the owner), i will always chat with the owner, as argentinas like to talk and get them liking me. This will also get you a better price.

The biggest problem in BSAS is that tourist come here for a month and pay whatever is asked, so the landlords expect they will get it all the time. Some would rather hang out for $750 a month and not rent, than get $500 a month for 3 months.

And the most important thing for me is if there is something not right, i dont rent as it may mean you are screwed later on with deposit etc. The not right things are usually them lying or misleading about something. I saw a couple a apt's where the ad said in palermo, or recoleta, and they might be 2 or 4 blocks outside. Or they say there is a double bed when its only a large single.

Napoleon said:

yes it is. I'm looking at it on a map right now. Soler, Aguero and Cabrera all intersect at one point near a place called "glam dance"

trennod said:
I think he said (and meant) the area around those streets. I could be wrong though.

I think thats pretty much on what could be considered the border of Barrio Norte and Palermo (if not in BN), someone else may be able to confirm though. Thats an decent area, not too far from Avenida Sta Fe and therefore pretty close to Linea D. Obviously close to the action of Palermo where I am sure you will spend plenty of time. Any way you can try out the area before fixing in for 3 months? Always think its a good idea to come here and look first yourself if you have the chance.

She not he :p

I am fairly familiar with Buenos Aires and like the Palermo area, I am not just not at all familiar with street names or intersections, I can only remember big monuments, where things are in relation to certain restaurants and shops!

Lclc23 said:
Thank you!!

Napoleon said:

Lclc23 said:
yes it is. I'm looking at it on a map right now. Soler, Aguero and Cabrera all intersect at one point near a place called "glam dance"

You are correct.

I was thinking "Güemes" when I saw "Agüero". Something about umlauts that got mixed up in my brain.

trennod said:
I think thats pretty much on what could be considered the border of Barrio Norte and Palermo (if not in BN), someone else may be able to confirm though.

I dont think there is a barrio norte. From what i understand barrio norte refers to the northern barrios eg: recoleta, palermo are all part of barrio norte.

If i am wrong where is it and what streets bound it ?

davonz said:
I dont think there is a barrio norte. From what i understand barrio norte refers to the northern barrios eg: recoleta, palermo are all part of barrio norte.

If i am wrong where is it and what streets bound it ?

Barrio Norte is not a formal barrio, much as Once is really an area within the formal barrio of Balvanera (same for Abasto and I think Almagro). As I understand it, Barrio Norte spans parts, but not all of both Recoleta and Palermo. Not sure what the exact bounds are, but Soler and Agüero definitely qualifies. As mentioned, it is formally part of Palermo (I believe Pueyrredon is the Palermo/Recoleta border).

The further you go up Agüero away from Cordoba, the nicer (and probably more expensive) it'll be. The funny thing about BA is that it's very common for one block to be nice, even relatively upscale, and two blocks down you want to stay away from. Specifically here, Agüero one block south of Cordoba is already a shadier place; a store just got ransacked over there.

Back