Subte Robbery Alert (C Line)

Just like al qaeda, Barry, they´re one step ahead of you.. No matter how careful you are...... I love the advise "use common sense". What does "dress like a local mean"? A la shanty town or Recoletta? No one going to the bus terminal wears expensive jewelry or fur.

That's why it's good on this site that we watch each others' backs ... share information and try to help each other.

Tonight I was sitting on my stoop petting the neighborhood cats when a woman on my block walked by and told me to be careful, someone will try to push their way into my house. I thanked her, as best I could in my limited Spanish. I had been watching for anyone who turned down my street so that I could quickly get inside. Sad.

victoria said:
Beware of the 9 de Julio Subte station, where you switch to the C Line to go to Retiro.

I was on my way to the big bus terminal in Retiro, pulling my suitcase and carrying another bag as well. The diversion is this: as you try to enter the car someone deliberately stands in front of the door to hold up passengers from entering, and at the same time the train conductor closes the door on the entering people, creating panic and confusion. I believe the train conductor did it deliberately, because I've never had that happen before.

I love how the title of your thread here reads like it's breaking news. This happens on the Subte every single day. I doubt the subte conductor had anything to do with it.

I am an Argie..

Guys.......have you watched "9 queens" - The Movie???????:confused::confused::confused:

If you haven't go rent it. (i mean go to your p2p)

For now i can tell you the most common way yo get robbed in Subte o Retiro.

In the Subte you should never sit in seat that's right next to the exit if you have any jewelry. I've seen people getting robbed this way a couple times along the years. Because the robber kinds of give you the back....just before the door closes he rips the jewelry and gets off the subte.

In Retiro if you walk around with suitcases you could get kind of Sprayed with mustard/mayoness/ketchup.... they do that to stop you, and kind of shock you....so they might even go to the point of helping you clean the bag...so they play you like a gitano.
They try to manipulate your mind...so you get robbed.

But you dont have to be paranoid all the time either.....i got robbed in NY last time....

it sucks

Salud!

asadofed said:
I am an Argie..

Guys.......have you watched "9 queens" - The Movie???????:confused::confused::confused:

muy buena esa peli! :D There are definitely some pros in BsAs.

I too recommend 9 Queens. It has the feel of a Hitchcock film, especially the way the director transmits the sense of insecurity constantly in the air.

About dressing like a local: Don't wear baseball caps, avoid using shorts (at least if you are over a certain age).

Dear Victoria: Sorry to read that. Definetely report, nothing will happen so...why not do it just in case? As a local i tell you in advance that police will tell you that there are two ways to classified what you suffered. One is "robo" and the other is "arrebato" with slight and unuseful legal differences in both (like recognizable thief and so on....) Almost all reports end in "arrebato en la via pública" (although this was in a privatized transportation) What this all means is that "arrebatos" are not investigated by any legal authority on justice, it is just a way to put a statement that could be used for an insurance (then again..insurance could say that it doesn´t recognize anything but a "robo", so there you go in circles to nowhere...) Hope this helps to clarify things. To be honest, a media claim will do much noise and perhaps alert more people. (and sadly to say you are right...thives are very good in Argentina...I got robed my documents and credit cards while steppin into a bus....they are looking not only for foreigners....but for any second that we focus on something else) Dont let this bother your stay in Baires....have fun, take care. Enrique ([email protected])

I was once pick-pocketed on a colectivo, maybe 7 years ago. I wasn't being alert so I was vulnerable. After that I have been very careful. I almost never carry credit cards (only if I KNOW I am going to buy something). If I have a large sum of money I wear a money belt. I never carry my DNI. Instead I carry a cedula. I keep my wallet in my trousers pocket and my hand gripped to my pocket at all times throughout the trip. I haven't had any problems since.

Does anyone know, are there any plain clothes policia in the subte? Also, I don't think I've ever seen a uniformed officer down in the subte ... is there a reason for this?

Sorry to hear you got robbed on the Subte C line....I live near the 9th of July entrance....and Bs.As. is no different than any other city in the world.....Lots of peeps..attract lots of pick pockets....I have to agree when travelling with luggage, I never take the subway....I got robbed in Chicago that way....But, when with bags...it is always advisable to take a taxi....yes more expensive...but safer when you have less hands to protect your backpacks, purses i.e.

Back