Subte Robbery Alert (C Line)

fifs2 said:
Elqueso I will apologise on expats behalf in case Steves comments make it sound like locals crime stories have no merit being posted on this site - his point may be valid but it lacks the empathy that your close family horror stores merit.

There is no need to apologize for me, and you completely misinterpreted my post. I wrote about crimes not being reported to the police, but said nothing whatsoever to the effect that those crimes should not be posted about here. I have plenty of "empathy" for vicitms of crime and have made a number of posts on the subject (see post #2 in this thread). My girlfriend was mugged in the street by a thug on a moto and a "local" I know (and with whom I've done business) was robbed of $48,000 USD when leaving a bank after an escritura.

I would like to see ALL expats AND nationals who have joined this site post about being victims of crime in BA.

The best way to avoid being a victim of crime in BA is not to come in the first place. It is far more dangerous than most people realize: about 50% of those who responded to the survey about crime in BA indicated that they were victims. I think those are pretty bad odds, even if many of the crimes were considered "minor" in nature. Some of the expats who have been victims of more "violent" crimes "moved " to BA (and into less desireable areas like Monserrat) without a clue of the potential dangers.

steveinbsas said:
The best way to avoid being a victim of crime in BA is not to come in the first place.

You are quite right. Stay long enough in BsAs and no matter how careful one is, how much precaution one exercises, how paranoid one is, one will be on the receiving end of crime. This risk simply has to be factored into one's calculations; there's no factoring out a certain baseline risk that remains after all common sense precautions have been taken.

I don't think three months can qualify anyone as en expert on crime in Buenos Aires. Especially when there are expats who have been living here over ten years. I've had friends who have been robbed at gun point in a restaurant in Palermo, kidnapped in their cars and left on the street naked, elderly family members who have been severely beaten by the thieves that had broken into their house, others who were held at gun point in their bedroom for hours whose children are still seeing therapists several years later. Besides pickpocketing, there are serious crimes that happen here. When it comes to house and apartment robberies, the police are often involved. Why do you think all the countries and private gated communities in the province with private security get robbed? Now, you can't even enter Nordelta unless you can prove you live there.
As far as more petty crimes, I had a friend who was sitting on the bus one day and a thief managed to cut open the bottom of her purse. All the contents fell out and she didn't even realize it until she stood up and noticed how much lighter her purse was. There was a group of thieves that became famous in Caballito some months back. They had women, men, a few elderly, a man in a wheel chair and one blind mind involved. One of them, a woman, would cross the street with an enormous shopping bag and reach into the bag. People didn't realize that there was a hole in the bag and she would put her hand through the hole and rob the contents of your purse or your wallet. The police did nothing and they were robbing hundreds of people per day.

I can't think of a single friend who has not been robbed or worse. One family was tied up and gagged while the thieves took everything. Years later and they are still traumatized. A friend was jogging in Recoleta early in the morning and got robbed, at gun point. They made him take off all his clothes except for his underwear (they kept the T shirt). A year or so later he was robbed in a taxi. Another friend was robbed, along with everyone else, in a major restaurant -- Jesse James style. Lost his wedding ring among other things. I have been pickpocketed and had my cell phone stolen. I guess I am lucky.

victoria said:
Yes, I should have taken a taxi, but I think everyone on this site knows how I feel about taxi drivers.
So sorry about the theft. Bummer and you just feel so violated! I'm a photographer constantly riding the bus with my camera gear as I go from job to job and I'm constantly paranoid. Thanks for the heads up.
Am I the only one who doesn't know how you 'feel about taxi drivers' I've had some wicked taxi drivers! Am I just lucky?

Stay long enough in BsAs and no matter how careful one is, how much precaution one exercises, how paranoid one is, one will be on the receiving end of crime.
This is a mathematical truth for every city and town in the World.

I know a lot of people in Buenos Aires (myself included) that were never robbed. Not saying that it is not possible, but there is no need for being paranoid.
First, don't make yourself a target. This includes waking right next to the street using your expensive mobile, leaving your camera on the outdoor restaurant table. I would also mention clothing. Don't dress as if going to the Cannes ceremony and take the subte line C to Constitucion!
Second, be always aware of your surroundings. If you are going to leave a bag next to you on a park bench, make sure you always can see who is approaching you, i.e. the bench has to be just in front of a wall so that no one can grab your bag from behind, etc. If you need to use your mobile on the street, walk as far away from the street/bycicle paths as possible. On the subte, away from the doors or watch carefully around you when the doors are about to be close. If you are approached by a stranger on the street, don't daydream and make sure you know where your belongings are, do not let them distract you.
Third...well, avoid having/having with you valuable things. If you're going late in the evening to a bar and you know you will drink and will be talking to your mates...why don't you leave your ipad at home?

There are some tricks like cuting the purse, provoking a congestion at the doors in the subte or colectivo to let a thug steal your belongings, the bird shite scam, the expensive watch taken from a wrist laying in the open car/train window, the mobile snatched by a bici-chorro, etc which are older than the obelisco and yet still succesfull!

Don't want to be a smartass, yes, I might be robbed some day, but I think one can really reduce dramatically the chances of being robbed by being aware and blending in with the crowd (a target is after all someone who somehow stands out from the rest)

I disagree, Amargo, I've had the bird shit scam done twice (second time obv. knew what was going on and avoided the people trying to "help") and was dressed little better than a tramp both times, had absolutely nothing to steal, no wallet or phone, nothing. Have also been burgled twice....this is a dangerous city and being very aware of that is the trick to staying safe...

In response to this:

Stay long enough in BsAs and no matter how careful one is, how much precaution one exercises, how paranoid one is, one will be on the receiving end of crime.

Amargo wrote this:

Amargo said:
This is a mathematical truth for every city and town in the World.

That just isn't true. There are billions of people in the world. Many have never been and never will be the victim of crime. This includes almost ALL of the inhabitants of the Villa in Argentina in which I now live (and some of them are quite elderly).

In BA, however, there is a "multiplier effect" that makes becoming a victim of crime more likely to happen sooner rather than later.

brownlove said:
If you look at the Baexpats crime poll statistics, nearly 1 in 10 of respondents (17 total) have been victim of an armed robbery!!! NUTS or what?

http://baexpats.org/expat-life/5805-crime-bsas-anyone-11.html

And how many people in Argentina who live at street level (in houses or apartments, regardless of the location) have bars on their windows or "anti-robo" cutrains?

Not even ONE of my friends or relatives in the USA have them.

Back