Suicide And The Afterlife

Hi Ticktock, suicide is a terrible thing for those who are left behind. I have known several people whose family members ended their own lives and it seems that for ever after they seek an answer. I hope all reading this will take heed and no matter how hopeless life can seem at a given time, think of how horrible you will make it for those who love you if you do that. And usually there wll be another member of the famly who will follow. I don't know why and I have theories but I'll spare you.

I'm not Roman Catholic and I'm not native Argentine, but I know there is a God and He does judge our lives. But I believe that He takes into account the mental state of the person who did the act and I believe that you can trust Him. And yes there is life after death. That's a big subject to touch on.

I do want to add there is a lot of occult in my farmily background (psychics, spiritists, etc.) all the way back I don't know how far. My own grandmother was a fortune teller before she rejected the occult and and chose faith in God. You cannot do both. God absolutely forbids our messing with the occult, seers, psychics, etc. He calls it spiritual adultery. My grandmother warned me never to go to anyone like that or to a seance, etc. The story of her leaving that "religion" (and it is a religion though most don't realize it) is interesting to say the least. She told me that there are two powers, God and the demonic. She said there is a lot of faking in fortune telling, psychics, etc, but if it is real it is demonic and that you can end up leaving with a "familiar spirit." There may be a reason you have not followed through. I believe that God tries to protect us--but we can override his protection.

I could write so much more here but this is enough. I know occultism is getting stronger in the world as more people are being led in every way possible by the PTB to reject God, and I'm not going to argue with anyone who wants to defend it. To each his own. I choose the God of creation, not his opposition. Occultism seems to follow family lines (to me it seems that way as I watch occult families) and not everyone in my family went the way of myself and my grandmother. I can tell you their lives have not gone well. God has answers for you. Best you look to Him. In closing I will add that your post touches my heart. I know it's hard, and sometimes life has such hard things for us to cope with and it is always worse when it involves someone we love. I've had my share too, though not that one, thankfully. But we do learn from them and there is a purpose for it all.

In my conservative southern Baptist background we were taught that if one committed suicide one went to Hell. I personally don't believe that. It does not take into account the tremendous pain and suffering that person must have been enduring. The perspective lacks compassion and the God that I know has tremendous compassion. Yes, there will also be judgement, and all of us will be judged. I certainly believe there is a Heaven and a Hell. Even if we can't comprehend on our level of thinking what will be the reality, the analogies are good enough for me. I don't know if it matches exactly the descriptions that we have from the Bible and other works (Hellfire, brimstone, and pitchforks) but I believe that there will be a very different existence for those who choose different paths in this life. It appears that for some people, Hell has begun early while they are still here on Earth.

I've gone through many different chapters in my faith throughout my life looking for "meaning" and trying to understand how God and the world work. My grandmother once told me I was a "seeker." At one point I could have been described as gluttonous - looking for meaning in what I could consume from the world and I consumed a lot. In the end, it was pretty empty.

Regarding Argentina and suicide; I had the unfortunate experience of having to sit for hours with the police at a suicide three months ago while the family of the young girl who jumped from the 8th floor waited in the hallway for the coroner to arrive and take the body away. One of her two sisters talked with me for a bit and I tried to offer as much comfort as I could. The pain they were going through was unbearable. I still haven't shaken it and they never will. The next day I asked some people in my office if we should send flowers. They looked at me like I was from Mars. They said flowers would be VERY inappropriate considering it was a suicide. I haven't gotten over that, either.

You didn't ask for a sermon, but I'll second what Arlean said above. And yes, like occultism, there is a lot of faking in religion, too. However, true faith, answers, meaning, and peace in this world come from God. You open your heart and you'll find it. The questions are worth wrestling with, even if it takes a good portion of your lifetime to find the answers.

Heavy topic! My cousin committed suicide 14 years ago and it still brings tears to my eyes today. I haven't gotten over it at all. In fact, one of my daughters has the female version of his name because of him.
My personal view is that when we die we pass through God's judgement, and that he judges our whole lives including all of the pain and suffering we were going through. I believe that this is us sitting with God and watching the whole of our lives like on a movie screen, including the consequences etc of our actions. For a suicide, this would mean seeing and feeling the weight of the absolute pain and incomprehension of all friends and family left behind.

If you want to off yourself then off yourself.....but most people don't want to,,,,,,,they are just want the attention, they want someone to realize they are in pain, they are sad, or cannot cope with their problems, a true friend or loved one might recognize this. When you see a loved one feel depressed TALK WITH THEM....it's a lot more simple than planning their funeral......as to where they go? I have no idea, but if it were a loved one I would miss them.

Camberiu,

Everyone is entitled to believe what they want to believe and if you choose to believe this then that is your right. However, John Shelby Spong is a minister of humanism which is literally anti-God. No theologian who is a practicing monotheist will define God in this way. If you think that being "fully human" is the way to God then you really don't understand the nature of God vis-a-vis humans. This definition means that You are God "in development."

I spent a good 10 years fully immersed in this thinking, I have studied every one of his books as a student, and I can tell you from profound experience that this is a dead-end promise.

To each his own.

camberlou, with all respect to all other religions & beliefs systems, I think the video you posted is EXCELLENT & I happen to believe we are all 'little gods in the making'. We're not perfect...and no, there is no hell, only the hell we create ourselves.

Talk to any dedicated hospice care giver & they will most likely tell you the same thing, a fair number of people die in agony & fear when they take their last breath, all cause they have been indoctrinated since birth into believing that they were born with 'the stain' in their soul' & that hell fires await anyone who doesn't "Fear the bearded old man". Two thousand years have passed since those 'flat earth' days, we don't need to be told children's tales any more. We're mature enough to be spiritual rather than religious.

For anyone who fancies him/herself as open minded, I think there are too many
superstitions around the subject of death & spirit etc....I recommend watching these two links if you are truly interested in the subject matter...

Nurse Shares 30 Years Of Spiritual Experiences With Death & Dying
http://www.youtube.c...cu1H4Hss#t=271s

This other link is very interesting too:

BBC documentary on Near Death Experiences.

According to Beetlejuice, people who commit suicide are public servants in the afterlife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi52_qprBT0

Hi ticktock, before we can answer the question you ask, I think that maybe we have to consider that there are mainly two ways to commit suicide...on one end of the spectrum one is conscious & aware, for example pulling that trigger & blowing your head off etc...and then on the other end of the spectrum there's the slow 'unconscious' or 'semi-conscious' way like driving your car too fast, picking fights with strangers, drinking to much & wanting to 'get out of it', putting your own body in physical risk more often than necessary... etc etc....even continually eating junk/bad food could be seen as an unconscious attempt on your own life. I think more people 'commit suicide' slowly & unconsciously rather than in the dramatic way.. that's my two cents worth.

Taking all the above into consideration, I think we all leave here when we are ready to do so, whether we are young or old or by our own hand or not...we choose to go 'home' when we feel we have completed what we needed to learn. That's just my own belief.

Hypothetically , if telepathy can be proven to be a verifiable fact then one argument could be made, for example that the person who 'decided to take that doomed flight' that morning was unconsciously aware of his/her imminent death & therefore he/she willingly chose to board that 'doomed flight' on schedule, could we then argue that his/her actions are a 'kind' of unconscious suicide?

There are many ways to look at it I think.

Not your usual post but I am just curious on other peoples thoughts.

Several years ago someone close to me took their own life. Since then I have considered seeing a spiritual medium but for some reason I have always decided not to. However I have spent hundreds if not thousands of hours scouring the net for clues as to what happens to those who take there own life on 'the other side" (not sure if there is another side).

I am interested to hear your thoughts no matter how crazy.

Thanks

:)

As we learn more about the micro and macro universe it seems like there is not much we can be certain about. Concepts like time and space become difficult to comprehend. My personal feeling is that I want to spend the time I have here on earth trying to improve things as much as I can, and ready for death when my time comes, I can understand someone taking their life if faced with a painful end because of cancer, or even a loss of spiritual direction. Most religions do promote the concept of love and harmony and I try to live by that philosophy. I am ready for what happens, even if it is nothing.

Back