Summer recipes- care to share?

Rease

Registered
One thing I love about summer is that you only want lighter food (most of the time!) but since I live alone, leafy salads tend to go bad quickly. Anyone up for sharing some recipes?

Here´s one of my favourites (so easy and it holds well for a few days)
4 bean salad

All you need is red wine vinegar, sugar, celery and 4 different kinds of canned beans (or you can cook dried beans. I usually do a mix of the two since canned beans are not as easy to come by)

Drain all the beans, put them in a big bowl. Chop up the celery and mix it in. The add about a half cup of vinegar and maybe 1/8 of sugar (to taste), mix it up and let it sit in the fridge overnight to soak up the flavor. Delicious and easy.

What are your summer recipes?

Tabouli

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/2902/tabouli

Ingredients (serves 6)
135g (3/4 cup) fine burghul
80ml (1/3 cup) fresh lemon juice
60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
Sea salt flakes & freshly ground black pepper
3 ripe (about 340g) egg tomatoes, halved, deseeded, finely chopped
1 telegraph cucumber, halved lengthways, deseeded, cut into 1cm cubes
3 green shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
4 cups loosely packed coarsely chopped fresh continental parsley
2/3 cup loosely packed coarsely chopped fresh mint

Method
Place the burghul in a medium bowl. Add enough cold water to cover and set aside for 1 hour to soak.
Drain burghul through a fine sieve and use your hands to squeeze out any excess moisture. Spread burghul over a baking tray lined with paper towel and set aside for 30 minutes to dry.

Combine the lemon juice and oil in a screw-top jar. Season with sea salt flakes and pepper. Shake until well combined.

Combine burghul, tomato, cucumber, green shallot, parsley and mint in a large serving bowl. Drizzle with dressing and stir to combine. Serve immediately.

Tomato Plum Salsa

http://www.theallegedfarm.com/_webapp_3848599/Tomato_Plum_Salsa

2 large tomatoes
2 plums
1 large onion
I medium hot pepper (e.g., ancho, Anaheim)
Several sprigs cilantro, parsley and/or mint
Juice of 1 lime
Juice of ½ lemon
1/3 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper

Roast the pepper over a flame, turning occasionally until the skin is completely blistered. Wrap in paper towel and set aside for at least 15 minutes. Wipe or wash the skin off the pepper and remove the stem and seeds. Dice.

Peel onion and slice into 4 slices. Put the slices on skewers, brush with oil and char on both sides over a flame. Dice

Chop the herbs

Dice the tomatoes and plums and put in a bowl with all the other ingredients. Stir well. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Let sit at least an hour. Serve with chips or grilled meat.

I picked this one up from beleive it or not an MS13 fella that was in my employ as a roofer back in the states.
Cucumber slices
add Lemon
Salt,
add a skosh of Tabasco.
REFRIGERATE
Dont let the tabasco scare you , the salt and lemon makes sure all you feel is the taste , not the burn.
Really refreshing.
Donno what happened to the banger , but he was well on his way to getting his life together and learning a trade.

Jamaican Bullie Beef.
This is actually a request,
Ive made it , but I want to make the real Mcoy.
anyone ?

Mark Bittman (NYTimes food guy) once did an article that was 101 Salads for summer. Had some amazing & easy ones in there!

As for my fave (from a blog):

1/2 small red cabbage, trimmed, cored, and shredded (about 6 cups)
1/2 small green cabbage, trimmed, cored, and shredded (about 6 cups)
1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
1 bunch fresh baby spinach, stemmed and cut into 1/2-inch wide ribbons (about 4 cups loosely packed)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from about 2 small limes)
1 tablespoon Dijon or other salty prepared mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup peanut oil
1/2 cup roasted unsalted peanuts, coarsely chopped
Freshly ground black pepper

You use the salt to get the water out of the cabbage. This salad is addictive & gets better and better in the fridge. I brought it to many an asado :) I usually substitute shredded carrots for the spinach and add in some cilantro.

My Summer Fave

Cut 1 lime into six wedges, muddle in glass with 2-4 sprigs of fresh mint. Add a about 1.5Tbsp of simple syrup and stir. Fill the glass with ice, and add 1 shot of havana club añejo blanco. Top off with high quality sparkling water and stir. Garnish with a sprig of mint and enjoy.

For any one wondering how to make those recipes with sour cream ...
How to make a Home made sour cream substitute in Argentina:

1 pot 200 ml crema doble serenisima
2 tablespoons clear vinagre de alcohol

Instructions…
It takes 48 hours to prepare my homemade sour cream so you have to plan ahead but its simple….

Pour the entire contents of the crema doble pot and the 2 tblspoons of vinagre into a sealable container .

close it

place it in a warm area in your kitchen where no one will touch it and LEAVE IT ALONE FOR 30 HOURS…

Don’t move it , peek, shake or joggle it ….

Then without opening it gently put it in the refrigerator for another full day.

Skim the more solid like sour cream from any liquid left below in the container and use this as sour cream !

excelent ! , Thanks . I was jonesing for sour cream !!

Cilantro mousse (aka Coriander Mousse)

3 cups chopped coriander
1 garlic clove
4 fresh chilis chopped (mild flavor - add more acc. requirements)
half onion chopped
1 cup mayonnaise
half cup pouring cream
3 tbsps soy sauce
Juice half lemon
1 sachet flavourless gelatine

In a liquidiser blend the chilis, garlic, onion and mayonnaise. Add soy sauce and cream then coriander. Finally mix sachet if gelatine with 4 tbsps tepid water and mix until smooth. Add to blender. Pour into oiled jelly mould and leave to set for 2 hrs min. Serve with crackers or bread...this is a recipe that is tried and tested and makes people ooh and ahh due to the taste explosion. My Mexican friend uses 12 chillis i hers..4 - 6 works for me...Enjoy!

Back