Super face masks developed by Conicet scientists can now be purchased

I may have found a treat for you - https://www.3trilab.com.ar/productos/respirador-3m-para-particulas-n95-8511/
(Expensive and not the most comfy but if I have to go into a hospital or other closed spaces where I may spend some time, I wear one. Likewise I used these for flying when the pandemic first hit... will try this supermask to see how it compares!)

Also a good site to get gel and cleaning alcohol in bulk to save some plastic.
Thank you....great for flying. Well worth ordering one to try the fit on me.
I discovered I am allergic to the gel and the alcohol aerosol sprays when directly applied on my hands. So I wear surgical gloves (which I buy by the box) and use the gel on the gloves.

....The mask has a triple layer of protection - antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal -

I am looking at Conicet article

They state that active ingredients are ions of silver and copper. National Institute of Agriculture and Livestock says that they tested the material against the coronavirus and the results "could not be better". Very scientific :).

But seriously, it would be nice to see a direct comparison of effectiveness of this marvelous nano-something product with surgical masks and N95.

I am looking at Conicet article

They state that active ingredients are ions of silver and copper. National Institute of Agriculture and Livestock says that they tested the material against the coronavirus and the results "could not be better". Very scientific :).

But seriously, it would be nice to see a direct comparison of effectiveness of this marvelous nano-something product with surgical masks and N95.
Useful data derived from the article you posted. I will post my opinion comparing both products as soon as I receive the Conicet masks.

Their ad says it can eliminate 99% of Corona virus. So far no mask makers can make that claim, N95 can only claim to eliminate 95% of the dust.
This Argentine mask must be amazing.

Antipodean....I found the same 3M model on ML...but much less expensive
articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar

Mascarilla 3m 8511 Caja X 10 Unidades + Original Eeuu - $6.999,99
MASCARILA 3M MODELO 8511 95CAJA X 10 UNIDADESMADE IN EEUU (lote y certificado del producto en la caja)ENVIOS CON MERCADOENVIOS + INFO ARRIBA DEL BOTON COMPRARRETIROS DE LUNES A VIERNES DE 9 A 13 Y 14 A 17 HSFACTURA A Y B (AGENTES DE PERCEPCION DE IIBB)

$6.999,99 x 10...free delivery or pick-up in Mataderos

Last edited:
Their ad says it can eliminate 99% of Corona virus. So far no mask makers can make that claim, N95 can only claim to eliminate 95% of the dust.
This Argentine mask must be amazing.
I think there's some confusion: N95 doesn't eliminate anything, it just filters particles, so these will obviously end up on the outside surface of the mask (or the filter, if there is one). The particles are still there, they haven't been inactivated or anything, which is why you're supposed to be careful not to touch the outside of the mask.

These Conicet masks are clearly cloth masks for social use, not for any kind of N95 or N99 filtering, but any active particles trapped by the mask will be eliminated by the antimicrobial silver and copper in the mask. It's an extra level of protection for people who don't need N95 protection. And they're washable as well. They should be good enough for most of us.

I think there's some confusion: N95 doesn't eliminate anything, it just filters particles, so these will obviously end up on the outside surface of the mask (or the filter, if there is one). The particles are still there, they haven't been inactivated or anything, which is why you're supposed to be careful not to touch the outside of the mask.

I agree...yet the 3M 8511 model with respirator, which I have been using since March, has served me very well. I wear it everyday when out. No gaps on the sides and very comfortable to wear for many hours. I spray it every time I put it on and again when I take it off with alcohol (70%) in aerosol from a factory cannister.

These Conicet masks are clearly cloth masks for social use, not for any kind of N95 or N99 filtering, but any active particles trapped by the mask will be eliminated by the antimicrobial silver and copper in the mask. It's an extra level of protection for people who don't need N95 protection. And they're washable as well. They should be good enough for most of us.

I agree...I am waiting to receive the Conicet mask order to see how it fits on me. I have a small face so I don't want gaps on the sides. And there is also the question of the size. One-size-fits-all....waiting to see how well it fits me, especially around the ears.

Last edited:
Well, mine just arrived, they're comfortable enough to use, the ear loop is a bit tighter than I would like, but they're better than others I've had. They don't have the nose "clip" to stop glasses fogging up, but in a quick test outside in the cold this morning my glasses remained clear. I'll be happy to use these for normal activities.

Back