Supermarket Price Tags Not Accurate!

angelo

Registered
Everytime i go to the supermarket i notice how they prices on the ticket after I pay, are not the same as in the tags they display on the aisles, and i talk about several items with a price difference of 30 to 60 percent, and this has happened several times to me (and to other people i suppose), anyone here is experiencing the same ? I feel this is plain cheating.

Do you say something? I always look at the receipt as soon as it is given and dispute any price difference. Sometimes, it is from not labeling clearly (there are 10 brands of soap, you pick brand A because it says it is $2, but you were actually picking a different packaging of brand A, which has an extra bar of soap and costs $4) which I think is confusing on purpose. But whenever I found a mistake they always corrected it. They assume you don´t check. So check and ask for clarification. You can also watch as things are scanned and see what price is rung up and contest at that moment.
Don´t feel bad for doing so, no one will think you are weird and you can keep going back, no hurt feelings.

They overface the displays to make the shelves seem fuller. Always, when in doubt, I check the UPC of the items against the tag and, in places where I can, use those little price check scanners that are throughout the store. I know a bit about the grocery business, probably too much, and I can safely say that it's not only endless work to keep items in place with the correct tag, but it costs a lot of money to keep reprinting tags when something goes off promo or the price changes.

The boss in our household takes a picture of the posted prices of of each item she purchases using her cell phone camera, and at checkout, the show begins when there is a discrepancy, which is quite often. Never was one to accompany her to the market, however, it is great theatre and a do not miss event. Nothing better than watching a wound up Ar woman unloading on somebody else. Her with her pictures and the cashier with that WTF look.

The boss in our household takes a picture of the posted prices of of each item she purchases using her cell phone camera, and at checkout, the show begins when there is a discrepancy, which is quite often. Never was one to accompany her to the market, however, it is great theatre and a do not miss event. Nothing better than watching a wound up Ar woman unloading on somebody else. Her with her pictures and the cashier with that WTF look.
Good strategy!

Everytime i go to the supermarket i notice how they prices on the ticket after I pay, are not the same as in the tags they display on the aisles, and i talk about several items with a price difference of 30 to 60 percent, and this has happened several times to me (and to other people i suppose), anyone here is experiencing the same ? I feel this is plain cheating.
It happened to me once. I noticed outside the supermarket after loading my purchases into the car. I went back inside to the customer service counter (with the items in question) - they then reviewed the price displayed on the aisle and refunded the difference (they then also took off the apparently old price tags in the aisle).

This happens when you go to the store, this is why I like to shop online, even though they charge a 40$ service fee. I get the full list with displayed prices at the time of buying, and then when they deliver I get the ticket with the actual prices paid. Then comparing is very easy and I do not have to prove anything.
I only go to supermarkets for special occasions , such as Thxgiving, Xmas, birthdays, etc.
One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes, to make prices look cheaper, they put tags with the price for 100 grs of such product ( they do it with cheese, coldcuts, meat, sometimes with laundry detergent! )

I am the male equivilent of dennisr's wifr
I protest, take pictures and dont give up even if its less than 1 peso its the principal not the money!
supermarkets like banks in argentina are legalized thieves!

Long ago, in Oaxaca, a restaurant updated its chalkboard menu between the time we ordered breakfast and the time the bill came. When we questioned it, they went ballistic.

The prices always differ because when they stock the items they don't put them on the shelves where the correct price tag is. I watch the price come up on the register when they scan every item. Today I was owed 10 cents (no big dial), and as always they had a the open bag of candy there, to use as change. She offered me a piece of candy and I told her I was diabetic. I was surprised when she took 25 cents out from the register and handed it to me.

Back