Supermarket Price Tags Not Accurate!

The prices always differ because when they stock the items they don't put them on the shelves where the correct price tag is. I watch the price come up on the register when they scan every item. Today I was owed 10 cents (no big dial), and as always they had a the open bag of candy there, to use as change. She offered me a piece of candy and I told her I was diabetic. I was surprised when she took 25 cents out from the register and handed it to me.

Presumably, change in golosinas is no longer legal.

I agree, but when it happens almost every day that you go the pharmacy, or the supermarket, it adds up. The other day an elderly woman in Farmacity complained to the girl working at the cash register, after paying, that the product price was marked lower on the shelf. The girl just turned around and ignored the woman. It's the attitude that bothers me more than the money.

This happens when you go to the store, this is why I like to shop online, even though they charge a 40$ service fee. I get the full list with displayed prices at the time of buying, and then when they deliver I get the ticket with the actual prices paid. Then comparing is very easy and I do not have to prove anything.
I only go to supermarkets for special occasions , such as Thxgiving, Xmas, birthdays, etc.
One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes, to make prices look cheaper, they put tags with the price for 100 grs of such product ( they do it with cheese, coldcuts, meat, sometimes with laundry detergent! )

A word to the wise: in Coto at least, there are substantial differences in price between the online price and the in-store price on many items. We did the math once and it added up to quite a bit.
So yeah, comparing is very easy... but you're paying more.

As far as convenience is concerned, best overall IMHO is to go to the store, see what's there, yeah read the labels, and then order home delivery for $20 more.

I always wonder when scales in supermarkets and produce stores were last calibrated? Imagine how much consumers are being cheated? If you combine this practice with inaccurate price tags .........

I always wonder when scales in supermarkets and produce stores were last calibrated? Imagine how much consumers are being cheated? If you combine this practice with inaccurate price tags .........
I've always been tempted to buy a set of scales to do random checks for curiosity. Has anyone heard the rumour about YPF's fuel being low quality and the reason it is usually cheaper than Shell etc?

But when they weigh your meat or veggies don't you watch to see what the scale marks before they put the item on the scale to make sure it's on 0? You have to watch everything, they're sneaky.

I've been living in Spain (Madrid & Valencia) for the past 8 months and have never once caught such a cheat here, not once, after having refined my eagle-eye in Buenos Aires over 4 years. Can't tell you what a relief it is not to have to worry about such things. I've also largely stopped comparison-shopping on many/most items because there's so little variation between stores. Although I agree with Tom and Nancy that life is too short to worry about such things, it's the principle, the opportunism, (mixed-in with carelessness that always seemed to favor the store), that bothered me in BsAs. Just makes day-to-day life here that much easier and more pleasurable. Just like the crime/inseguridad thing in BsAs. I never quite realized how much it permeated my life whilst living in BsAs, esp. over the last two years of 2012-13 when crime started shooting up, and how much my quality of life and appreciation for such has improved while living here. Like a huge load off the shoulders. Now don't get me wrong, I really miss BA, it's people, culture, vibrancy etc., but I really appreciate not having to worry about the opportunism and crime. Just my two cents.
Saludos a todos,
Jim

It's all very well to say that life's too short to worry about such tiny details and to some extent, I share that sentiment.
Cheating the customer is a national sport in this country and you have to be prepared to join the game.
I'm pretty hopeless with figures, but by a stroke of luck my other half is an accountant and she keeps a spreadsheet of daily expenditure, which is accurate down to the last centavo.
Everyone tries to cheat, including the credit card companies. You wouldn't think Visa would make a 'mistake', but they do.
What is intolerable, is that right now, when life is very tough economically for everyone, the scamming is even more noticeable.
Oh, and the supermarkets sometimes forget that YOU are the customer, rather than simply a cash cow.

Back