Supermarkets in Argentina are twice as dear as London

6 non-organic bananas was 94 pesos today. Prices are getting worse than Whole Foods.

As a frame of reference, at Whole Foods, a bunch of organic kale is $1.00, one organic lemon is $0.50, and five organic bananas is $1.99

I find good quality organic products in Argentina much more expensive than Australia .

I do not eat a lot of vegetables now as I found that I am much healthier without them and especially in Argentina they are very toxic with the highest pesticide count recorded in the world due to Monsanto .
There will always be a price differential from country to country. I want to live in Buenos Aires, so I pay for organic produce without knowing what it costs elsewhere. It doesn't matter to me. I want to eat well.

Pesticides on produce is the reason I buy organic. It is my health food, along with grains, seeds, nuts, and beans.

6 non-organic bananas was 94 pesos today. Prices are getting worse than Whole Foods.

Bananas are more expensive here but oranges are cheaper. I bought four large ones yesterday to eat (not for juice) at the equivalent of $1.19 USD. They would be at least $1 each in the US at a non sale price. A lot of supermarket items are equally expensive or more so, some cheaper. Quality is an issue too. Most items here I find not as good as in the US.

There will always be a price differential from country to country. I want to live in Buenos Aires, so I pay for organic produce without knowing what it costs elsewhere. It doesn't matter to me. I want to eat well.

Pesticides on produce is the reason I buy organic. It is my health food, along with grains, seeds, nuts, and beans.

After many years in Argentina I would not pay extra for Organic products , I don't trust that the products labeled as organic, sold in a Street Fair, Farmers Market are indeed organic??
Neither do I trust meat cuts labeled as Novillito or Ternera , that are priced higher than regular beef..?Should I trust the butchers?

It has always astonished me how food can be so expensive in an agricultural country. I realize that part of it is because of a poor transport / distribution system but it's also partly greed. Some products in Disco, for example, are substantially more expensive than in small markets.

Break the transport mafia and the grocery store price collusion see how quick prices drop.

Right??

;-)

After many years in Argentina I would not pay extra for Organic products ,
That's a choice we all make.

I don't trust that the products labeled as organic, sold in a Street Fair, Farmers Market are indeed organic
Have you ever gone to a Feria Organica y Sostenible to see what is sold?

Neither do I trust meat cuts labeled as Novillito or Ternera , that are priced higher than regular beef..
"The only reason anyone in [American] culture eats animal-based foods is because they've been told to do so since birth by every institution in our culture: family, media, religion, government, education and business."
Naked Food Magazine, Winter 2018 issue.

Back