Sushi Inflation in Buenos Aires

pmacay

Registered
The I read somewhere about the “The Big Mac” Index which was introduced in 1986 by The Economist magazine which uses the price of a McDonald’s Big Mac as a way to measure the purchasing power parity between countries.

This is “Pete and Ron’s Buenos Aires Sushi Inflation Index”

We used to order from www.sushi.com.ar “Furusato” for years, but switched to www.Maki-sushi.com.ar Maki Sushi about 3 years ago. I just tried Furusato and it looks like they’re no longer in business, shame, their quality and variety of sushi was the best, but they had a 2.5 hour delivery time which was very frustrating when you’re craving sushi. That’s why we switched to Maki Sushi, their delivery arrives in about 45 minutes.

Feb 2018: The cost of gyoza was $130 ARG pesos and the Combo “Go”, 32 pieces was $740 pesos for a total of $870 ARG pesos. The exchange rate we were getting in Feb 2018 was $19.75 Arg = $1 USA

Jan 2019: The cost of gyoza was $180 ARG pesos and the Combo “Go”, 32 pieces was $955 pesos for a total of $1,135 ARG pesos. The last time we exchanged USA dollars was about two weeks ago and the exchange rate we received was $38.50 ARG = $1 USA

So the price of our sushi dinner for two increased by 53% in ARG pesos, but in terms of the USA $ the price actually decreased from $44 USA a year ago to $29.50 today, a 33% drop.

Have my friends earning pesos had pay increases of 53% from last year, I highly doubt it. I don’t know how my Argentine friends survive!

Pete & Ron

Attachments

• maki-sushi.com.ar-Gyoza-130vs180.jpg
    maki-sushi.com.ar-Gyoza-130vs180.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 3
  • maki-sushi.com.ar-Gyoza-740vs955.jpg
    maki-sushi.com.ar-Gyoza-740vs955.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 3
www.Maki-sushi.com.ar Maki Sushi is pretty good quality, nice size nigiri pieces, the problem in Buenos Aires is the lack of variety of fish / shellfish. Most sushi in Buenos Aires is heavily based on salmon, I love salmon but you don't want a whole sushi dinner of just salmon. Furusato was the best I ever found in Buenos Aires but it appears they're no longer in business, truly a shame!

In my opinion, Sushi Club is pretty good. Pricey gonna drop 100 USD at least with 2 to 4 or more in my case. But still worth it given where we are.
Sushi is always expensive, no matter where you are, because the fish must be top quality and fresh. The issue is Porteños are not big fish eaters so the turnover is low, which makes the situation worse.

Sushi is always expensive, no matter where you are, because the fish must be top quality and fresh. The issue is Porteños are not big fish eaters so the turnover is low, which makes the situation worse.

Hard to believe Argentina has a huge coastline and as you said, most Argentinians do not like fish. That has baffled me for years as I really do enjoy fish and seafood. My wife will not even touch it...Oh well, it is what it is, as they say.

i gave sushi club a try once...it was better than average but not by much. the price was very expensive. i tried itamae recently and liked it a little better, plus they had tuna sashimi available and it was decent quality.

salmon, smoked salmon, cream cheese, palta, sesame seeds. those ingredients make up about 90% of standard sushi restaurants menus, just in different combinations.

Back