sushi tips anyone

sketchyblueeyes

Registered
Hi all!

I'm a big fan of sushi, and i'm trying to find a good place in BA for basic, relatively authentic sushi. I don't care if they have massive, over the top rolls or an awesome selection, what I care about are some basic tuna, salmon, white tuna, eel, shrimp, etc. that is fresh and affordable. Possibly some miso soup and some nice bottomless hot tea to go along with it. Does anyone have any suggestions for a place I can go to get close to authentic sushi that's fresh and not going to break my sad little bank?:confused:

I went to Yuki a couple of years ago and was pretty impressed - It's old-style Japanese cuisine cooked by this old Japanese guy. I had a miso soup and the sushi was pretty good (we had salmon, tuna, octopus). I don't think there was an incredible variety (I've never seen great variety in sushi here) but it was pretty good. We paid 200 pesos for two people, two years ago so I expect it's gone up. I also remember the Japanese gardens being ok.
I've also tried A LOAD of sushi delivieries and used to get really good sushi delivered from a place in Colegiales (on Alvarez tomas) but the availability of sushi grade fish is really thin on the ground (according to the owner) and I noticed a real drop in the quality this year. The past two times I ordered, there were little bits of bone in the salmon sashimi and the rice was awful. I ordered Sushi pop last week (after hearing plenty of mediocre reviews) - As far as sushi delivery goes in Buenos Aires, it wasn't that bad (comparatively) and we paid half as much as what we get charged at our usual place. If you're a keen sushi eater though, expect to compromise...a lot. fish is not what Buenos aires does best and you'll be hard pushed to find anything decent other than salmon.

Yuki is great, a little pricey but totally worth it.
Dashi sushi is also good.
For delivery-only try Furusato but they have a bit of a protocol for ordering - read here for more deets: http://www.saltshaker.net/20060408/the-sushi-vault
We recently also tried shabu shabu from Nihonbashi which was good, the sushi here was also impressive (for BA - coming from Australia we're very spoilt.)
A lot of people rave about Osaka - in my opinion, it is completely overrated. If you're after sushi - keep in mind that Osaka is Peruvian Japanese so a lot of sweetness is added to dishes.
Hope this helps and look forward to seeing more replies to this as I'd love to find more great sushi here.

Many thanks! I hope to see a few replies too. FYI, avoid animal sushi delivery. its in palermo and i think its new, and its bad news bears.

Can anyone tell me why so many sushi places in this city have about 50 varieties of rolls that are some combination of salmon, CREAM CHEESE, and avocado???? why so much cream cheese?

sketchyblueeyes said:
Many thanks! I hope to see a few replies too. FYI, avoid animal sushi delivery. its in palermo and i think its new, and its bad news bears.

Can anyone tell me why so many sushi places in this city have about 50 varieties of rolls that are some combination of salmon, CREAM CHEESE, and avocado???? why so much cream cheese?

This goes on anything that hasn't already been smothered in dulce de leche or Hellman's mayonnaise.

Sushi is my favorite food. I have lived long enough in Buenos Aires to accept the fact that it is not available (as we know it) in this city. The sushi substitutes that are available here range from at least second rate down to OMG awful. But I still go out for the substitute version sometimes, and found that if you keep going to the same place and tip well, you can express your preferences and then you will get the best of what's available, even to the point where the chef will let you know if what you've ordered isn't the best that day. So that is my recommendation: pick the best of the bad, and then become a regular. That's all you can hope for.

Shogun, on Uriburu 280 is authentic sushi prepared and served by this hidden home like restaurant Japanese owner. They do not deliver, but have high quality sushi and Japanese food. A favorite among the local Japanese youth is Kyodo, they do deliver and for lunch their sushi combos are inexpensive. Their lunch specials are great at a great value http://www.kyodo.com.ar/. At Nikkai ( Japanese-Argentine Association ) on Independencia, Av. 732 you can have a classic Japanese meal at good prices ( it is another nikkei favorite ) and lastly Niji on Anchorena 1251 is a small inexpensive Japanese bistro. All these restaurants I am recommending are not in the typical touristy/fashion circuits, I vouch for them ;)

I have not tried any of this, but they are pushed to the top of my food to do list. Ever hopeful, but not expectant.

The problem, even in the few places that come relatively close, is not especially the quality of the three basics -- salmon, tuna, and the ubiquitous "white fish," but in the essential lack of variety. I have never seen toro, unagi, unago, or truly fresh taco. Once I saw tamago, but it was some egg substitute taken from a can and pressed into rectangles. Essentially there are only the big 3, with frozen versions of shrimp (and never sweet shrimp or the entire shrimp including head) and octopus no fresher than the squid rings one find everywhere.

There are six different varieties of tuna, for example.

So I am hopeful in trying your recommendations.

And may I pose this question? Why is Argentina so starved for any decent fish cuisine? There is a 2000 miles coastline on the Atlantic, and the country borders razor thin Chile, with another 2000 miles of coast on the Pacific. Every country in South America with a coastline on either ocean has a distinctive and abundant fish cuisine. Only Argentina is excepted.

Eternalnewbie said:
I have not tried any of this, but they are pushed to the top of my food to do list. Ever hopeful, but not expectant.

The problem, even in the few places that come relatively close, is not especially the quality of the three basics -- salmon, tuna, and the ubiquitous "white fish," but in the essential lack of variety. I have never seen toro, unagi, unago, or truly fresh taco. Once I saw tamago, but it was some egg substitute taken from a can and pressed into rectangles. Essentially there are only the big 3, with frozen versions of shrimp (and never sweet shrimp or the entire shrimp including head) and octopus no fresher than the squid rings one find everywhere.

There are six different varieties of tuna, for example.

So I am hopeful in trying your recommendations.

And may I pose this question? Why is Argentina so starved for any decent fish cuisine? There is a 2000 miles coastline on the Atlantic, and the country borders razor thin Chile, with another 2000 miles of coast on the Pacific. Every country in South America with a coastline on either ocean has a distinctive and abundant fish cuisine. Only Argentina is excepted.
Ah the answer is sadly quite simple: most of the seafood and fish produce is exported, so you do not have a great variety here plus it is quite pricey :p

So there is a fishing industry in Argentina? I didn't know that. If so, there is an interesting vicious circle created: seafood is exported because exports make more money, leaving a deficit of seafood for local consumption, thus driving up the local price, which results in driving down the local market for consumption.

Oh well, it is what it is. Nobody would come to Argentina for the food, with the possible exception of pure steak aficionados. Most of our holidays are spent traveling to places with the express purpose of eating well.

Back