Típico Argentino

It's been 6 months already! Wow - time seriously flies. Maybe I should change my username to countrygirl:p:D You should stay - and have a holiday party!

And I'm with you - we're usually at Kansas at 7 or so as I can't handle the wait for the tables if you go after 8.

I agree with you on the RARE steak issue...I have sent many of them back at Kansas for being over cooked. They don't have the concept of rare here...or at least not the same as it is in other areas of the world.

Excuse me, but it is not RARE how we locals generally eat our steaks?
I agree with all of you that cheap popular food in many countries is better and healthier than in Arg. (oh Thailand, I miss you so much), but you all exaggerate a bit. The main problem is that locals still make most of their meals at home, and in countries like Thailand the local population eats outside in the street. Meet somebody´s grandmother, and you will start to like local food.

marksoc said:
Excuse me, but it is not RARE how we locals generally eat our steaks?
I agree with all of you that cheap popular food in many countries is better and healthier than in Arg. (oh Thailand, I miss you so much), but you all exaggerate a bit. The main problem is that locals still make most of their meals at home, and in countries like Thailand the local population eats outside in the street. Meet somebody´s grandmother, and you will start to like local food.

I have eaten at co-workers and some of my neighbor's homes and yes you are correct, some of the food can be pretty good. However the quality of the ingredients are much better in the US and Western Europe. When I first visited Argentina in 2004 the beef was spectacular at your average parilla. Now it's just very average even in expensive places and with what it costs to buy beef now I don't think it's justified. The things here that have been of mention in my neighbor's house that I have eaten, are the pasta and ravioli, carré de cerdo con ciruelas and of course the empanadas árabes and locro. The rest of the things have been very standard. I rarely eat out now, and if I do I go to a tenedor libre, which are chinos, because they all have a great selection of vegetable dishes which you can't find at any Argentine restaurant.

@dave I like tenedores libres. There are some good around your area. I eat there a lot. They even got vegetables and seafood. But, I can't find to many real Asian places like in the States or Britain

Last week I asked for ground pepper at a restaurant. When it was brought over, I realised that the pepper mill didn't work (I suspect because there was no pepper in it). When I asked for a different mill, instead of just getting me one (there were plenty), I was told by the waiter that there "should be pepper in that one. The mechanism inside is probably just jammed" before he swiftly turned around and walked off...leaving me to fix the mill (I guess).
It's stuff like that that get's to me...Constant answering back and even arguing rather than just fixing a simple problem. Only rather than getting used to it, I find myself increasingly intolerant and annoyed.

Argentines have an attitude problem, a kind of chip on the shoulder. It's a shame because it makes life so much harder than it has to be.

Back