Tadpoles??

jeff1234

Registered
My wife has always liked to keep some a decorative clear glass bowl on the sink of the guest bathroom. On the bottom is a layer of colored marbles and every week or so she rinses it out and puts in a few inches of new tap water. Occaisionally the cat will drink jump up on the sink and take a drink out this bowl.

A couple of days ago I notices some small, long narrow things swimming in the bowl. About the length of a finger nail and the width of a couple of human hairs.

I hate to be asking this question, (ugggghhh!) because I'm not going to (ugggghhhh!) like the answer (uggghhhhh!!!!) but does anyone know where these guys come from?

I figure its either (ughhhh!! ugggh!!!) the cat or (yetchhhhh! phewyyy!!!) the tap water. Or that some of those Amazonian intestinal parasite worms that grow to 25' long inside your stomach then eat their way out have crawled into the bowl (sound of pistol firing and body slumping to ground).

Please tell me its spontaneous generation or somebody playing a practical joke.

My wife has always liked to keep some a decorative clear glass bowl on the sink of the guest bathroom. On the bottom is a layer of colored marbles and every week or so she rinses it out and puts in a few inches of new tap water. Occaisionally the cat will drink jump up on the sink and take a drink out this bowl.

A couple of days ago I notices some small, long narrow things swimming in the bowl. About the length of a finger nail and the width of a couple of human hairs.

I hate to be asking this question, (ugggghhh!) because I'm not going to (ugggghhhh!) like the answer (uggghhhhh!!!!) but does anyone know where these guys come from?

I figure its either (ughhhh!! ugggh!!!) the cat or (yetchhhhh! phewyyy!!!) the tap water. Or that some of those Amazonian intestinal parasite worms that grow to 25' long inside your stomach then eat their way out have crawled into the bowl (sound of pistol firing and body slumping to ground).

Please tell me its spontaneous generation or somebody playing a practical joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EglhI6Kfsvw

Do a google image search on "larvae in water" and see if anything strikes you as similar. Maybe an insect flew in and breathed life into your decorative art piece.

Photo of the critters

Attachments

• IMG_2856.JPG
    IMG_2856.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 41
Do you have mosquitoes in and out of the house, as most of us do?

If some of the stones aren't completely submerged (handy for laying eggs on), you could be about to have the Grand Opening of a mosquito ranch.

You guys are the best. I don't know why I didn't do more research before posting, probably due to fear of what I'd find.

I followed [background=rgb(230, 230, 230)]EricLovesBA's [/background]advice and looked for info on larvae in water. To me they looked like the image of 'midges' which carry blue tongue and African horse sickness. That doesn't sound to good but at least its better than the 25' intestinal parasites.

Might be some type of fly, perhaps those little black buggers that always seem to pop up out of nowhere? I'd flush the water and clean the bowl with super hot water and probably not put it back out if it was me. ;)

Jeff - loved your descriptive imaginings about the critters! And now that you know you can solve this by dropping in a tad (sorry -- couldn't resist) of Clorox, I have to thank you for a refreshingly different twist to the frequently heavy-duty topic-morphing here.

Or maybe the more appropriate response to your question would have been "WATER? Why do you have water in your house anyway, when you should stick to wine in Argentina? And a CAT -- is it vaccinated? Why not a DOG? Or a pot-bellied PIG? And is that bowl made in CHINA?

Back