Taiwanese / Asian Visa ISsue

duffdouglas

Registered
Hi there. My gf is Taiwanese and wants to come to BA. Does anyone have any experience with Taiwanese getting a visa either tourist or work?

A friend said that there were issues with people from Asia in general getting visas (tourist and work). Any truth to that?

Thanks!

I would find it hard to believe that Asians are treated differently, but I could be wrong. The biggest issue I see for a person from Taiwan is the small detail that Taiwan barely exists, diplomatically speaking that is...so that means since there are hardly any embassies in Tapei, you have to go through a third country....you may try cally Steve maggi, 15 5527 9429, he is a us-attorney from buenos aires who specializes in this sort of thing.

We're currently in China and the issue is the Argentine embassy here doesn't recognize her passport and have said she has to go to Taiwan to get it processed. Ok, fair enough. BUT, when she gets her tourist visa and wants to extend it after three months I forsee issues. Going to Uruguay probably won't be an option and in reality flying back to Taiwan would be a pain and fiscally just expensive.

If I have a work visa does it make a difference for her (if hypothetically we were married?)

rentaplus said:
I would find it hard to believe that Asians are treated differently

In fact, they are. If you check the visa requirements you'll see the different treatment.

For example, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, among others do not require a tourist visa.

Indonesia, Philippines, among others, require a consular tourist visa.

China, for example, requires a tourist visa that must be started in Buenos Aires, at the DNM.

duffdouglas said:
We're currently in China and the issue is the Argentine embassy here doesn't recognize her passport and have said she has to go to Taiwan to get it processed. Ok, fair enough. BUT, when she gets her tourist visa and wants to extend it after three months I forsee issues. Going to Uruguay probably won't be an option and in reality flying back to Taiwan would be a pain and fiscally just expensive.

If I have a work visa does it make a difference for her (if hypothetically we were married?)

I do not have experience with Taiwanese citizens requesting visas for Argentina. There is, however, a significant Taiwanese community here. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs page says that they require a "certificado de viaje" (travel certificate). I suppose it is similar to the authorization that has to be required for Chinese citizens, though I'm not sure. The issue here is that Argentina does not recognize Taiwan's independence.

To get it processed, she will have to go to the Argentine consulate with jurisdiction over Taiwan. I looked it up online but couldn't find it; maybe in the Argentine consulate in Hong Kong they will be able to give you more information.

Once she obtains the tourist visa, she will be able to renew it once, for a maximum of 90 days, at the Immigration agency, without having to leave the country. If you're married, she may apply for a visa which will be granted for the same amount of time as yours.

Wow what great information. I've been told she will need a letter of invite etc to get the tourist visa and some evidence of a bank account that can show that she can 'survive' in Argentina for her stay.

Your information about being married is very interesting and something I have not read before.

So if I, as a Canadian, who has a work visa, is married to someone who is on a tourist visa, she could change that to a visa that would be for the same duration as mine? That is very encouraging.

Thanks for taking the time to post. It's very much appreciated.

duffdouglas said:
Your information about being married is very interesting and something I have not read before.

So if I, as a Canadian, who has a work visa, is married to someone who is on a tourist visa, she could change that to a visa that would be for the same duration as mine? That is very encouraging.

Yes, that's correct. She would apply for a visa under the criteria of "family reunification", article 10 of the immigration law 25.871.

"ARTICLE 10. - The State guarantees the right to family reunification of immigrants with their parents, spouses, unmarried underage children or older children with different abilities."

ARTICULO 10. - El Estado garantizará el derecho de reunificación familiar de los inmigrantes con sus padres, cónyuges, hijos solteros menores o hijos mayores con capacidades diferentes.

Hey duffdouglas,

I will be in a similar situation soon. How did it work out for your girlfriend? Where did she end up getting the visa and were there any issues renewing it for the 2nd 90 day period? What about staying longer than 6 months?

Ok. Thanks a lot.

SB

Back