Taking medicine to the States?

va2ba

Registered
We will be leaving and heading back to the US in the next few weeks (depending on the visa interview this Thursday) and I am considering taking a 6 month supply of my medication with me.

The medicine is for acid reflex, and what they make here is much more effective than what I was using before I came here. Whereas here I only take it once a day, in the States I was under doctor's orders to take it twice a day.

Can I take this much medicine to the states without a problem? Has anyone done this before?

It is not life or death or anything, so its ok if I can't, but I would be saving money this way.

Is this medicine sold over-the-counter in pharmacies in the USA or is it prescription-only? Has the brand or the generic form of this medicine been approved for sale in the USA? You can see where I'm heading, can't you? If it could be purchased without restriction in the USA then it's no different from taking a few kilos of mate or or boxes of alfajores.

elhombresinnombre said:
Is this medicine sold over-the-counter in pharmacies in the USA or is it prescription-only? Has the brand or the generic form of this medicine been approved for sale in the USA? You can see where I'm heading, can't you? If it could be purchased without restriction in the USA then it's no different from taking a few kilos of mate or or boxes of alfajores.

I do see where you are headed. To my knowledge, it can be purchased over the counter now in the States, but I am not positive on that. I will have to look into it.

They always recommend carrying a note from your doctor when traveling with excess prescriptions but if it is not a controlled substance, I can't believe they would be interested. I have traveled with prescriptions for friends in the US (cheaper here) in bulk quantities with no problem.

Agreed - we just went back to the US and I had a plastic grocery bag filled with meds for a family member. All types, some over the counter, some of which a doctor here gave me for her. Not a question was asked. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Thanks for all the posts. I feel much better about taking them now.

My family brings medicine from Russia all the time because their bodies can't handle most American over-the-counter medicines -- too rough. It it is never problem.

Back