Taking My Artwork Out Of Argentina?

big_cheese

Registered
Hello,

What would be the best way to move artwork (my paintings) out of Argentina. They are currently in Buenos Aires and there are about 100-200 paintings on paper. Would I need to pay any export tax? Has anyone done something like this before?

Also, I am not in the country at the moment (I am in Europe caring for a sick relative). Can anyone give me any advice about how I can arrange the repatriation of my paintings from abroad as I am most likely moving back to the UK where I am from.

My Spanish is not so good as I was not in Argentina very long, so would need some help from local friends to organize this.

Thank you.

A few years ago someone wrote about this. If you are shipping it via an international transportation company it is a NIGHTMARE of government restrictions. If you have a few small items they could be put in a suitcase and no-one would care.

When I have transported my own works (large framed photographs and art, Sculptures).. best is to pay for an extra luggage charge at the airport and skip customs all together.
Paintings and works on paper can be laid flat or rolled in a large tube. Pay attention to extra size fees (L x H x W).. different airlines have different restriction. If anyone asks at the airport.. down play the "art", that you are taking classes and these are "studies" not finished works. As Chris said above DO NOT try to ship them.. it really is a nightmare.

I shipped 9 or 10 paintings out of Argentina. It actually wasn't terrible - there were forms that needed to be filled out and dropped off and I had to government approval to take them out but the entire process took a week or so.

Honestly, I wouldn't probably have bothered if they hadn't been very large and professionally framed. I also filled a trunk with sketches, small paintings/drawings/etc, didn't do anything in terms of permission (there were well over a hundred) and no one batted an eye when they were inspected at customs on the way out.

When I have transported my own works (large framed photographs and art, Sculptures).. best is to pay for an extra luggage charge at the airport and skip customs all together.
Paintings and works on paper can be laid flat or rolled in a large tube. Pay attention to extra size fees (L x H x W).. different airlines have different restriction. If anyone asks at the airport.. down play the "art", that you are taking classes and these are "studies" not finished works. As Chris said above DO NOT try to ship them.. it really is a nightmare.

How do you skip customs?

Also, if I were to send them by post in tubes, would they go through customs (if sent by a reliable international courier)?

Does anyone have any updated information on this?

I want to take two paintings (each around 150cm x 80 cm) out of Argentina to Spain. I paid around USD 300 for each.

They can't be rolled as the paint is quite textured and they would crack.

Are there companies that can help with this? I don't mind paying the customs fees if they aren't outrageous, but would need help navigating the whole procedure.

Or is DHL / airlines an option for paintings this large?

Does anyone have any updated information on this?

I want to take two paintings (each around 150cm x 80 cm) out of Argentina to Spain. I paid around USD 300 for each.

They can't be rolled as the paint is quite textured and they would crack.

Are there companies that can help with this? I don't mind paying the customs fees if they aren't outrageous, but would need help navigating the whole procedure.

Or is DHL / airlines an option for paintings this large?
Based on my own experience, DHL is not an option for sending art out of the country

I took 33 paintngs to the USA in two boxes as checked luggage on one flight, but i had to get permission from the Secretary of Culture, complete a number of forms, provide two photos of each painting, complete a short bio of ech artist, pay a fee to the Secretary of Culture have the paintings "assesed" (for a fee) at the Banco Ciudad (using photos attached tto the forms stampe by the Secretary of Culture). I also had to go to the office of the Aduana at EZE with all of the completed paperwork the day prior to the flight as well as check in with the Aduana inside the terminal on the day of the flight for them to cross check the paperwork with the paintings (still in the unsealed boxes which were then sealed berore i checked in for the flight..

You can also use a despanchante de aduana (customs broker) who will do everything for you, for a fee of course.

Based on my own experience, DHL is not an option for sending art out of the country

I took 33 paintngs to the USA in two boxes as checked luggage on one flight, but i had to get permission from the Secretary of Culture, complete a number of forms, provide two photos of each painting, complete a short bio of ech artist, pay a fee to the Secretary of Culture have the paintings "assesed" (for a fee) at the Banco Ciudad (using photos). I also had to go to the office of the Aduana at EZE with all of the completed paperwork the day prior to the flight as well as check in with the Aduana inside the terminal on the day of the flight for them to cross check the paperwork with the paintings (still in the unsealed boxes).

You can also use a despanchante de aduana (customs broker who will do everything for you, for a fee of course.

Thanks for the response. We're going to reach out to a despanchante and will see what they say.

I took 33 paintngs to the USA in two boxes as checked luggage on one flight, but i had to get permission from the Secretary of Culture, complete a number of forms, provide two photos of each painting, complete a short bio of ech artist, pay a fee to the Secretary of Culture have the paintings "assesed" (for a fee) at the Banco Ciudad (using photos attached tto the forms stampe by the Secretary of Culture). I also had to go to the office of the Aduana at EZE with all of the completed paperwork the day prior to the flight as well as check in with the Aduana inside the terminal on the day of the flight for them to cross check the paperwork with the paintings (still in the unsealed boxes which were then sealed berore i checked in for the flight..

You can also use a despanchante de aduana (customs broker) who will do everything for you, for a fee of course.
What could be easier!

Back