Taking Pet back to Germany (EU)

betts

Registered
Does anyone have experience on what you need to do to take back your pet to Germany? Our cat came with us from Germany 3 months ago and now we will be returning. She has an EU Pet Passport and the proper rabies vaccine shot given in March 2009. When we left Germany the officials there assured us that from Argentina we would not need to do the serology test. But when I looked on the SENSA website it said that we would need to do the test.
In addition, there is a health certificate that needs to be done - but which vet needs to do it - a SENSA vet (ie at the airport) or any old vet will do?
Can anyone add to the confusion....I mean clear up the confusion? Thanks!
 

EvergreenGal

Registered
Betts, there is a recent thread here that might be of help....do a search for "dogs: 3 year rabies vaccine not valid to leave the country". I would put the link to it, but sadly I don't know how to do that....
 

mini

Registered
Well, I'll add to this thread to make is simple. That other one is a bit confused! :D

You need a health certificate that you get at a vet (any vet that does this) no earlier then 10 days before you leave. Then you take this health certificate to "La Zarotta" (near Puerto Madero) & they either give you another paper (or stamp/validate the one from the vet, not sure about this yet). I'll be doing this next week so I'll let you know then.

You most likely do not have to do the test as the cat originally came with you from Europe to begin with. For this you will have to get in touch with the appropriate people in Germany as they will be the ones concerned on entry. But your pet passport details the cats travels & orgins.
 

EvergreenGal

Registered
Mimi....I will be very interested in finding out about the last leg of your adventure, ? , as the Vet I went to said they would do all the paper work...including the "La Zarotta"....I so hope I don't have to make the last minute trip to Puerto Madero for this...I am going to another Vet in the near future and will ask again....no one here is ever on the same page!
 

betts

Registered
Hi all - thanks for the replies. I too found that 3-yr rabies thread confusing and it wasn't really my question as that was related to a dog, the USA and the actually rabies shot. My cat doesn't have the 3 yr issue as her vaccination was within this year and going into the EU may have different regulations than the USA.

It was serology test that was my main concern. This was going to be an issue as you have to do that 3 months before you leave, ship the blood test to a lab overseas, wait for results etc. We had to do this when we took the cat from Thailand back to Germany last year. The official vet in Germany assured us we would not need the serology test, then SENSA website said the opposite.

Mini please let us know how you get on!
 

mini

Registered
EvergreenGal said:
Mimi....I will be very interested in finding out about the last leg of your adventure, ? , as the Vet I went to said they would do all the paper work...including the "La Zarotta"....I so hope I don't have to make the last minute trip to Puerto Madero for this...I am going to another Vet in the near future and will ask again....no one here is ever on the same page!
My vet also said they would do all the paperwork. But when I called the magic phone number I was told I would need to go down myself. I'll let you know Tuesday.
 

mini

Registered
betts said:
Hi all - thanks for the replies. I too found that 3-yr rabies thread confusing and it wasn't really my question as that was related to a dog, the USA and the actually rabies shot. My cat doesn't have the 3 yr issue as her vaccination was within this year and going into the EU may have different regulations than the USA.

It was serology test that was my main concern. This was going to be an issue as you have to do that 3 months before you leave, ship the blood test to a lab overseas, wait for results etc. We had to do this when we took the cat from Thailand back to Germany last year. The official vet in Germany assured us we would not need the serology test, then SENSA website said the opposite.

Mini please let us know how you get on!
The SENSA doesn't matter, it's the German vet agency that you need to get the answer from. They are the ones that will allow your vet in (or not). What does the German equivalent say? Call them.
 

EvergreenGal

Registered
mini said:
My vet also said they would do all the paperwork. But when I called the magic phone number I was told I would need to go down myself. I'll let you know Tuesday.
Mini,
Were you able to find any answers today?? Thanks for posting!!!
 
Top