Taking pets to the UK?

Rossiebloom

Registered
Hi

Just out of interest does anybody know how much it would cost to take a cat back to the UK? Not including vet fees etc.

Also has anybody done this and had any problems on arrival in the UK?

Any info would be great thanks!

I think this depends on the Airline.
Plus, you have to have the cat chipped, rabies tested and certified (a process which takes at least 6 months). Will be going through it myself one day!

Hi, took my dog from London to buenos aires more than a year ago. The cheapest airline was iberia because all others charge more per kilo and the kennel was quiet big.
Contact SENASA. they will tell you all you need to do here in order to get your cat ready for the flight plus all the vaccines required to leave the country.
Then contact the British embassy. They will tell you all you need to do in order to take your cat to the UK.

i would recommend you start the whole process a few months in advance as it takes long!
;)

Be careful! It is completely different bringing an animal to argentina than bringing one to the UK! The UK has very strict rules, due its being an island with no rabies whatsoever.

You have to go with BRITISH AIRWAYS only. I have had various quotes for my cat and the cheapest was £1500. You have to have a microchip, a rabies blood test that is sent to the USA to be tested, many other health costs and the actual trtansport. Look at the department of environment (UK) for the regulations and call the British Airways cargo in Ezeiza here for more details. They can recommend the best way to go about it.

Also the British embassy will just tell you to look at the website. Sorry to be blunt but this is a very expensive and time consuming process. You also need 6 months, not just a few, for the rabies tests - it is basically a quarantine with you in your home instead of the old system where all pets had to be quarantined for 6 months.

British Airways are very expensive for transporting animals. You can use other airlines and go to mainland Europe but you then have to enter UK via ferry/tunnel. Air France is very reasonable

I would think twice before doing it. The brits are knows as pet nazis, and if your cat is very home attached, it will suffer in the quarantine even more than your budget will suffer from the exuberent costs you will have for the whole thing

oksanache said:
I would think twice before doing it. The brits are knows as pet nazis, and if your cat is very home attached, it will suffer in the quarantine even more than your budget will suffer from the exuberent costs you will have for the whole thing

Quarantine is not required anymore if you do all the paper work before hand. As was stated from Argentine to UK you will need to get rabies blood tests. It will take you at least 4 months & more like 6 months so plan ahead.

Air France, TAP & Lufthansa are all pet friendly, at least for pets in cabin.

Good luck!

Back