Tango is a caricature of the patriarchy (NYTimes)

This article on the topic is far better in my opinion.

Cheers!

"The tango, a traditional Argentinean dance, is typically associated with strong, dark men and long-limbed women acting out sex in dance form. Or, as Julie Taylor, anthropology professor at Rice University says, “over-the-top heterosexist drag.”

From this perspective, the past few years of queer tango in Argentina are an innovation, an adaptation from the traditional gender roles. But, despite a mythology that links the tango with brothels, historical research shows that the tango was danced by male couples from the beginning. And so, rather than pushing boundaries, queer tango is a return to the origins of the dance."

The MFT is a lesbian movement who want to breaks the codes of the dancefloor that existed for the last 100 years for protecting women from sexual harassment.

They want to breaks those codes in order to create a privilege for lesbian sexual harassment.

I had conversations with them because they wanted to boycott the most traditional milonga and I suggested them to debate it at Court but they gave up as soon as they understood what was going to be my speech.

The milongas where this “protocol” is accepted are empty while Cachirulo is always full. There is zero chances of being haressed there no matter the gender of the aggressor.
Reading this article from the New York Times it is ridiculuos how this got published in the first place. Tango is a elegant and respectful danceform with clear codes that enhance that respect . To try to change this essence into a rigid controlled dance under the guise of feminism is misguided . if you are wanting a different tango fine do this in designated milongas but do not try to impose your beliefs onto the rest of society that respect the codigos of tango

The feminist movement should put their energy on other danceforms like regaetton ( extremely popular in Argentina and South America ) which compared to tango is very sexual with no romanticism nor elegance . The dancemoves of regaetton are million times more suggestive than tango but strangely enough there is no feminist movement protesting this .

I agree. I love the traditional milongas. The codigos are there for both sexes. If a man or a woman behaves outside the accepted behavior, the milonga organizer will ask them to leave. I have no problem dancing with women as the lead. It can be fun. But I want to dance with men. In 13 years of dancing ,I have only had two incidents of disrespectful behavior. I can't say the same for my life out in the world.

Tango is Buenos Aires in all its forms Passion , Melancholy , Revenge , and Triumph.
Argentinas greatest export is this dance and without it it will lose a great part of its cultural impact and image worldwide .

This is a great movie about the temptuous relationship between the famous tango couple María Nieves Rego y Juan Carlos Copes

This article by the New York Times was pure propaganda . It mentioned that Liliana Furios milonga was always full and Cachirulo was empty .

Having been expelled from Mr. Pellozo’s milonga once for trying to dance with another woman, Ms. Furió is no fan. But she seems to be having the last laugh, drawing larger crowds at La Furiosa.
They envy Cachirulo because it is always full while her milonga is empty. I know those girls. They die for dancing at Cachirulo, but they want to impose their rules and this is not happening.

Tango is Buenos Aires in all its forms Passion , Melancholy , Revenge , and Triumph.
Argentinas greatest export is this dance and without it it will lose a great part of its cultural impact and image worldwide .

This is a great movie about the temptuous relationship between the famous tango couple María Nieves Rego y Juan Carlos Copes

Meh, I thought the movie was kinda whiny on her side.

This article on the topic is far better in my opinion.

Cheers!

"The tango, a traditional Argentinean dance, is typically associated with strong, dark men and long-limbed women acting out sex in dance form. Or, as Julie Taylor, anthropology professor at Rice University says, “over-the-top heterosexist drag.”

From this perspective, the past few years of queer tango in Argentina are an innovation, an adaptation from the traditional gender roles. But, despite a mythology that links the tango with brothels, historical research shows that the tango was danced by male couples from the beginning. And so, rather than pushing boundaries, queer tango is a return to the origins of the dance."

That’s the point. The Movimiento Feminista del Tango is a lesbian movement but they do not want to admit it, and they want to impose they lesbian moral standards to straight people and this is not acceptable.
There are gay milongas in BA since 2004 but they hate La Marshall:
Nowadays, there are just a few milongas where same gender couples cannot dance but most of the debate is because the feminist wants to break the codes that makes milongas in BA so special. And they want to break those codes in order to be able to sexually harass women.
As I mention before, I had chats with them because because I’m the lawyer of Cachirulo.

What kind of homophobic shit did I just read!? Can't wait for all you old homophones to die off and all your bigoted shit along with you.

If they're going to protest the tango as sexist, they might as well protest wearing a wedding dress or a necktie.

But something tells me that there's no lesbian conspiracy to convert the rules of tango so as to promote lesbian sexual harassment of other women.

It seems to me that the main issue here is an argument about tango itself: is tango so fundamental to the culture that it is something that must change to reflect broader changes in the culture? Or is it a dance that arose at a given time and place, so that the old gender roles are fundamental to the practice? In the first case, it makes sense to start a conversation, in the second case, the activists should just not practice tango.

If they're going to protest the tango as sexist, they might as well protest wearing a wedding dress or a necktie.

But something tells me that there's no lesbian conspiracy to convert the rules of tango so as to promote lesbian sexual harassment of other women.

It seems to me that the main issue here is an argument about tango itself: is tango so fundamental to the culture that it is something that must change to reflect broader changes in the culture? Or is it a dance that arose at a given time and place, so that the old gender roles are fundamental to the practice? In the first case, it makes sense to start a conversation, in the second case, the activists should just not practice tango.

The chat with those lesbian activist was that first they complained that they cannot dance at Cachirulo woman/woman. I replied, perhaps you are right, but how are you going to invite women to dance? (Men are in one line, the dancefloor in between, women are in front of them all in another line). Are you going to sit on the line of men?
She replied: I go to the table, I say hello linda, can we dance?
My reply was that women feel as an act of harassment if you go to the table to invite them to dance, that you have to invite from your chair with cabeceo.
Then I made a pause, and I asserted, you are trying to get a priviledge to by pass the codes that protect women from harassment.
They gave up.0EADC6DC-7BEE-42B3-B51A-B767CD9C0F30.jpeg

What kind of homophobic shit did I just read!? Can't wait for all you old homophones to die off and all your bigoted shit along with you.
Nothing like a good hate speech to remind me that you're as deplorable as a Nazi supremacist.

Back