Tango me....

I agree with Medialuna, many of the group classes will not teach the fundementals, how to walk, how to lead, how to deal with a follower who does not get what you have led, how to deal with different music. The list goes on, most will just teach you moves. Sorry I cannot help more as I did most of my learning in Europe. I took some privates with Jorge Garcia here, too advanced I think. I also have a friend out in Villa Lugano who will come local. We took many lessons with him in the early 2000s. I do not know what he charges now but if you pm me I can send you his details. You will need good castillano, it took me three years to get him to a say Mirror.

You will never become a good dancer taking group classes. Take some group classes and find a teacher you like. And take regular private lessons. Becoming a good tango dancer takes time and money. There are so many schools and teachers here. It will take time to find what works for you. It is not easy.

Yes, I'm taking group lessons now to evaluate an instructor for private lessons. DNI classes are just too crowded, and often has more men than women in the classes, so less partner practice with a woman for me. I'm checking out El Beso and Mundial now.

I agree with Medialuna, many of the group classes will not teach the fundementals, how to walk, how to lead, how to deal with a follower who does not get what you have led, how to deal with different music. The list goes on, most will just teach you moves. Sorry I cannot help more as I did most of my learning in Europe. I took some privates with Jorge Garcia here, too advanced I think. I also have a friend out in Villa Lugano who will come local. We took many lessons with him in the early 2000s. I do not know what he charges now but if you pm me I can send you his details. You will need good castillano, it took me three years to get him to a say Mirror.

Thanks, for the advice. I've been studying Espanol for only a month now. So he doesn't speak English?

Sunderland has been closed for maybe a couple of years. I'd suggest starting with the group lesson before the Monday practica at El Beso and plan to stay for the practica after the lesson: https://www.hoy-milonga.com/buenos-aires/en/milonga/136424/Practica**Práctica-de-los-Lunes**Monday-December-30-2019-in-Buenos-Aires. If you decide to invest in private lessons, a Milonguero style teacher that you might try is Monica Paz http://mptango.com/SocialTangoSchool/en/. Monica doesn't have group lessons but she speaks English. She has a youtube channel where she interviews and dancing at the end with over 40 different Milonguero Viejos:

Thank you. It seems she's very well pedigreed. Is she too in demand to teach?

I start my new life in BA on February 1st. I am classified as a 'senior'....call me a bored senior and don't accept it. Maybe the tango can offer me an activity that I can enjoy...especially the music. Any recommendations offered about where to begin would be appreciated...especially if they are classes that are not late...actually the afternoon would be great. I will be living in Balvaneral. Thanks.

Welcome Cooper,
A long walk across different barrios would be such a good start, to soap up the feeling of the streets of Buenos Aires, especially those streets crowned by massive trees with old iconic architecture below them.

https://www.tangoandchaos.org/ This website is an excellent free source to learn about social dancing in Buenos Aires. It's more or less a journal about the author's experiences dancing in the Buenos Aires milongas in the years 2001 to about 2005.

You will never become a good dancer taking group classes. Take some group classes and find a teacher you like. And take regular private lessons. Becoming a good tango dancer takes time and money. There are so many schools and teachers here. It will take time to find what works for you. It is not easy. Well someone said this just before....And as the most experienced ESL teacher in this world....I know the argument. And group lessons are great for many people....who to judge what's right for another person
https://www.tangoandchaos.org/ This website is an excellent free source to learn about social dancing in Buenos Aires. It's more or less a journal about the author's experiences dancing in the Buenos Aires milongas in the years 2001 to about 2005.

There are many styles of tango and it depends on each person's desire/preference to choose which style of Tango they want to learn. I am a female dancer. I always enjoy more when dancing with mionguero style dancers, who dance accordingly to the music, not just to showing off fancy stuffs. So for a male student (I suppose you are a male dancer?) I think a Mionguero style is a better choice. I can recommend a teacher if you are interested. You can see his dancing videos and see if you like his dancing style first. Just PM me if you want me to send you the info.
Is mionguero same as milonguero? This word has been used a couple of times so just checking what experienced people here mean: you mean the compact, baldosa (small space), close embrace, maybe slightly off-axis, style developed in the 1980s as a reaction against 'show' or 'stylised salon' or 'fantasia' tango? Or do you mean some else or more general?

Is mionguero same as milonguero? This word has been used a couple of times so just checking what experienced people here mean: you mean the compact, baldosa (small space), close embrace, maybe slightly off-axis, style developed in the 1980s as a reaction against 'show' or 'stylised salon' or 'fantasia' tango? Or do you mean some else or more general?
No, she meant the dichotomy between milongueros and dancers who just do copied steps to show off while milongueros listen to the music and dance following it, for who it is only important what is going on inside the embrasment. My grand pa used to say that the woman should close her eyes and feel you are alone in the dancefloor [when it is super crowded]. A milonguero usually is a veteran dancer who never crash with other couples, who develops his own style, who respect the codes of the dance floor but, an amateur.

The close tango is related to the downtown milongas where the space was smaller like today is El Beso, former Regine in the 80’.

Back