Tango show?

jantango said:
(snip absolutely fabulous comprehensive listing.)
Brilliant! I'm sure we can get a great night or two out of that, In fact I think I feel a tangocrawl coming on.

Thanks for taking all that trouble - I really appreciate it.

Forget the 300 $ pesos shows!!!!
The best bang for the buck is the Esquina Homero Manzi (it is 15 minutes in a cab from downtown BA, in San Juan and Boedo).
It is 75 $ only for an exelent full dinner and a tango show made with 12 or 13 dancers.
Their excelent price is due to the fact they are not located near.
I recommend it!!

jantango said:
Tuesday:
afternoon - large place open 15-22 hs.
Nuevo Salon La Argentina, Bme Mitre 1759 and Callao (Congreso)
with dancers 70+ years (entrada 15 pesos)

afternoon - small place (150 capacity) 18,30 - 2 hs
Plaza Bohemia, Maipu 444 and Corrientes (downtown)
age 50+ dancers and many foreigners (entrada 18 pesos)
traditional tango at both where codes are respected

night - large venue downtown 22,30 - 3 hs
Confiteria Ideal, Suipacha 384, first floor (off Corrientes)
where tango films have been made

Wednesday:
evening - small venue in Constitucion 18 - 23 hs
Lo de Celia Tango Club, Humberto Primo 1783 and Entre Rios
entrada 10 pesos + drink
traditional lugar with good level of dancing and no flying legs
Celia's is my second home.

If they want to see a young crowd (35 and under) and listen to a wide variety of music, this is the place on Wednesday:
Centro Armenia, Armenia 1366 in Palermo
23,30 a 3 hs.

Since Janis recomended Nuevo Salon La Argentina it has become one of my favourites.
I like Plaza Bohemia, although I usually go on a Monday when it tends to be more touristas.
As for Centro Armenia, I find it a bit too nuevo, too dark and late, but for each their own, you should try everything and make your own choices. Fortunately we are all different, but Janis knows the scene best.

Every Milonga so nice! Also, Centro Cultural Borges and Homero Manzi, please check late show (they sometimes have with best dancers) after the dinner, at midnight.
To add, I love CAFE TORTONI Av. de Mayo 825, which has more than 150 years history place, is more than a coffe shop.
As people who have no time, we can go there to feel the history and also in night to see tango show, around 70 pesos fee and some order you have to do, but they do not ask minimum consume. you can have only coffee or wine, or you can have dinner or picada, too.
Here you have link of CARTELERA (program of shows)

http://www.cafetortoni.com.ar/html/cartelera1.html

I'd just like to follow up by saying that we went to Confiteria Ideal on Tuesday evening and loved every minute of it. Outside the night was dark and sultry and full of electricity: inside was an electricity of a quite different kind. The dancing, the singing and the music was absolutely magic so thank you Jantango for the recommendation and thank you everyone else for your suggestions too. I'm bookmarking this thread because I'm sure we'll be visiting some of the other suggestions before too long.

I am an ARgie and personally believe there's nothing wrong with tango shows for tourist.
It is true that real milongas give you the real thing, but it's also true that taking your foreign momma and grandmother to a real milonga might not be the best thing.

I saw a couple tango shows....as a hotel employee they let me go for free.

I found "El viejo almacen" as a great option for a mix.
Great orchesta....great dancers that mix real tango with a 30% of theatrical tango.
No flying women/ No horses :D
+IT is a historic tangueria..

I mean, sometimes seeing the real thing could be a little boring to some people.

Just an idea

ASADOFED:D

asadofed said:
I am an ARgie and personally believe there's nothing wrong with tango shows for tourist.
It is true that real milongas give you the real thing, but it's also true that taking your foreign momma and grandmother to a real milonga might not be the best thing.

I saw a couple tango shows....as a hotel employee they let me go for free.

I found "El viejo almacen" as a great option for a mix.
Great orchesta....great dancers that mix real tango with a 30% of theatrical tango.
No flying women/ No horses :D
+IT is a historic tangueria..

I mean, sometimes seeing the real thing could be a little boring to some people.

Just an idea

ASADOFED:D

I went to El Viejo Almacen a couple of years ago to see the show, and I liked it very much. The restaurant on the other hand is expensive and nothing really special. But the show was great, I went with my mother and my brother and they had a blast. It's true that you won't see a "traditional" tango show there, this is not a milonga at all.
I would recommend it to someone who wants to see a good tango show, very entertaining, made for tourists, but worth it.

Back