tango

katti

Registered
I am having my mother over for a visit, she has already done all the "classics" including a turisty tango show. I thought I might take her to a nice tango place this time, not a big place with a big show, but a nice bar. Not full of turists but more for locals?

Any recomendations?

thanks

Recoleta? your nearest is going to be El Beso (sat sun Tues Wed) or Porteño y Bailerin (Sun Tues) both on Rio Bamba y Corrientes, pm me if you want more details.
While you will no doubt see the best dancers at Sunderland, it does tend to be a bit cliquey and you will have to book a table.

In Palermo you have Salon Canning on S.Ortiz, which is less traditional than El Beso. But they usually have live music which is nice. Then you can try La Glorieta in Belgrano which is outside. It's lovely when the weather permits.

I really like the milonga that is over on Peru between Mexico and Venezuela (just a few doors down from Museo). On Wednesdays the cover is 15 pesos. They have a class that starts at 8 with 2 levels of experience, and two set of instructors. At 10 or so they have a huge +/- 15 piece band complete with a singer and they have open dancing after the first two songs. The bar is decent, and they have empanadas as well. The atmosphere is great, dimly lit with brick walls. I think it is a great tango experience.

I know they are lapse in some ways , but for last minute entertainment - which of the touristy shows do you recommend.
Do no even MENTION Sr. TANGo! (ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Thanks for your help!

tangobob said:
Recoleta? your nearest is going to be El Beso (sat sun Tues Wed) or Porteño y Bailerin (Sun Tues) both on Rio Bamba y Corrientes, pm me if you want more details.
While you will no doubt see the best dancers at Sunderland, it does tend to be a bit cliquey and you will have to book a table.

She asked for a tango show, not a milonga. El Beso is not a place to go and see. Regards

mini said:
In Palermo you have Salon Canning on S.Ortiz, which is less traditional than El Beso. But they usually have live music which is nice. Then you can try La Glorieta in Belgrano which is outside. It's lovely when the weather permits.

On Tuesdays they have live orchestras always.

flippinkittin said:
I really like the milonga that is over on Peru between Mexico and Venezuela (just a few doors down from Museo). On Wednesdays the cover is 15 pesos. They have a class that starts at 8 with 2 levels of experience, and two set of instructors. At 10 or so they have a huge +/- 15 piece band complete with a singer and they have open dancing after the first two songs. The bar is decent, and they have empanadas as well. The atmosphere is great, dimly lit with brick walls. I think it is a great tango experience.

Maldita-Bendita Milonga is not precisely a placer where locals go.

Back